Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Daylilies Galore and Flower Problems

The museum needs a gardener.  I was told that all the grounds work would be handled by the County.  I just needed to sweep the steps.  Piece of cake..I can ride a broom with the best of them!

Last week I was talking to one of the maintenance guys.. I said “Whoever is in charge of that flower bed out front has a lot of work to do.”    He replied “The Historical Society planted them so it is your problem.”  I told him “Well that is news to me.” ( Sometimes the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing..and everyone is confused.)

I contacted the Master Gardeners..they don’t weed..they just plant.

IMG_4290

Now that the Daylilies are blooming it helps to cover up the fact that some of the weeds are just as tall as the flowers.

IMG_4284

Beautiful old common every day Daylilies.

Did you know that I share the building?  The basement and the first floor are Historical Museum.  Upstairs the entire second floor is Art Museum.  They are only open three days a week.  Right now they have a Woodcarving exhibit with many very talented carvers displaying their works of art all through July.  In August there will be a Quilt Show.  They have a big old gallery in the former courtroom..with lots of what is called “Old Masters.”  Artsy fartsy for sure.   Kelly is the curator up in the Art Museum..she comes dressed to the “nines” every day..heels too..I told her when she is an old woman she will regret those heels.  I will go up there soon and take some photos…so you all can see the Art too!

Anyway back on track..flowers..I procrastinated so long with filling the planters that are on both sides of the doors ( remember I offered to put in plastic flowers) that the Art’s people filled the planters with  some little yellow flower that I have never seen before and German Ivy and Orange Impatiens. They look wonderful..and Kelly is in charge of watering them.  I sweep the steps so I think it is a fair trade off.  Now if I could only convince several of her Artsy Fartsy people to clean up the flower beds out front, I would have all my flower problems solved:)

Blog Signature

17 comments:

bekahjane said...

That's funny! Hope you get some weed racket volunteers :)

Gail said...

Maybe you can casually suggest each department be responsible for one third of the bed, possibly using it as a history exhibit, using only plants that would be commonly seen on early homesteads or as a creative exhibit, representing their department. Each section would be labeled and each department would be ashamed if their section looked shabby. Sometimes comparision and competion calls all to perform...just a thought.

Intense Guy said...

Are Daylilies and Tiger Lilies "historical" flowers?

:)

Just wondering...

DJan said...

Now that's funny. How to share flower beds is not something I thought museum curators had to deal with. I look forward to those pictures...

linda m said...

I love Gail's idea!!

Nancy said...

I'm thinking someone from the RSVP might enjoy taking care of the flower bed. It wouldn't hurt to ask, right?

LindaG said...

Good luck with getting the bed weeded.
They are very pretty lilies. :)

Country Gal said...

Im with gail that sounds pretty good at least that way the grounds are kept up and look good and it would be a learning experiance for all !

Karen said...

After you convince someone to weed those beds, can you send them over here?:)

Lanny said...

He who plants also weeds. That's Dirt's motto. (whickh means me of course) Mine... weeds can be so lovely doncha think?

Anonymous said...

Great looking flowers - but surely it's not your job to weed!!

Linda said...

I think dayliles are one of my favorites......AND......they do hide weeds.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Love the lillies. They are forever called "ditch lillies" at our house becasue that's where I got ours, waaaay out in the country.

I wore heels for 30 years to work. I don't regret it. I still love them but I can't wear them now... although, at home here, I have a pretty informal dress code, so it's not necessary. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the weeds and all the bad surprises you have gotten along with this job.
I did not realize the art museum is upstairs. I look forward to seeing some photos.

Judy said...

There is a patch of these by my lake camper where my Grandma lived for millions of years...those old folks must have like planting these...

Lynda said...

Daylilies are beautiful - - - whether common or not. Do you have any service clubs that need volunteer hours? Some of the high schools as well as the colleges need the hours in our community. Plus there are clubs like scouts, 4-H, etc. that might need a project. Some church groups might be interested in a 'ministry' too.

L. D. said...

Just like any school institution, the jobs sort of float back and forth to the new person until she can find a newer person to do it. The flowers look great. At our school I had planted daffodils and now I see it inspired another teacher to put in some day lilies, so two seasons are now covered.