Monday, November 3, 2008

More on email

Yesterday I mentioned my email. Yes, I did have a number of messages in my inbox to deal with. Today I still have 155. I am a tad slow about forwarding jokes, and will keep them in my inbox until I decided if they are joke worthy and who on my list would appreciate them. Some are forwarded on immediately. Nothing ever leaves my inbox until it has been cleaned of all email addys except mine. I hit forward, clean it up and then send it to myself and BCC which is Blind Carbon Copy to everyone else. That way I have eliminated sending off any info except my own. Of course if I am replying to someone, I just reply to them. It takes time to send out a clean copy..some of the jokes I get have been forwarded and re-forwarded with many, many names. This all takes time.

My friend Susan wins the "most emails in her inbox award"..she has 800. Uffda..many are from me!I have a number of people that I communicate with on a daily basis. I keep several people in jokes to brighten up their day. I am awaiting the address of someone who loves jokes..and since he is living on borrowed time, I hope his address is forwarded to me soon.

I would like to categorise "my contacts" and I tried it once. So I could mass email. I found it really frustrating. It is easier for me to just consider the joke and the person. Since I am a person with many interests I have a wide variety of contacts. I get funny jokes, nice jokes, off color jokes and some really racy jokes. My email tells me a lot about many people. I know who is having computer issues. Who is sick, and needs some extra support. Who is missing..like Far Guys second cousin in Florida who I have not heard from since Sept 19th. I have her phone # and will call her in a few days, she was going to get high speed Internet, but might be having other issues. She has an older dog..so I am worried about Cricket too. If someone in my large family of Cousins is ill, I try to get the word out for extra prayers.

Far Guy handles his own email..I think he has three or four email accounts. I only have one and have had the same email address for eleven years now. Far Guy does forward jokes to me. Sometimes he will send something on too soon..and he hollers "email that back to me, I wasn't done with it yet and your computer stole it from mine." Far Guy does answer his own email..however I do answer some of it for him. If he is having a bad day and laying on the couch nearby he will dictate from his more comfortable lying down position. I let the recipient know that I typed but will also type everything word for word..including the cuss words and the sighs. One day Far Guys Sister called. she was wondering what in the world was wrong with him..as he was emailing all times of the night..and seemingly never sleeping. Well it was me...me and my insomnia.

For me, email is a good communication tool. I appreciate everyone who email jokes to me. They cannot even begin to imagine how they help me help others. Sometimes I will get a comment..you made my day! Sometimes a LOL. Sometimes..I am so glad you haven't forgotten me, everyone else has.. including my children. Sometime emails bring good news and sometimes bad news. I suppose if I had a cell phone I could text, I have never been one for phone communications of any sort, especially after I worked for an agency that sold magazine subscriptions over the phone. It qualifies for the worst job I have ever had in my entire life. However it did keep two struggling college students in food and warmth for the winter. You do what ya gotta do..for me I will stick with the email:)

4 comments:

DayPhoto said...

The WORST job I ever had was telemarketer....ugh used to go home and cry because people where so rude. Ugh! UGH! UUUUUUUGGGGH!

I'm so glad I don't EVER have to think of that work again. When I leave this job I will retire. That is sure a gratifying thought.

I love email, also, I hate the phone, and resent it when it rings at night.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Vodka Mom said...

I LOVE email, and I totally love my cell phone. It certainly keeps me connected with the girls. SOmetimes I text,"If you don't send me a picture of where you are RIGHT NOW I am turning OFF your phone. for real...."

Martha said...

I'll have to remember that you like funny forwards. I almost always clean mine up too before sending and have the same consideration about who might actually enjoy it. I only send on the ones that I think are really good becuase I know many people don't like getting things like that at all.

Anonymous said...

I love e-mail and text messages and phone calls - oooooooh! and getting real hand-written letter in the post...