A old book post from January 27, 2008
Marbles
I collect them...and even have a special marble decorated jar for my special ones...friends give me marbles as gifts...the grandkids love them.
This past year (2007) our oldest daughter, husband and girls age 11, 9 and 8 moved in with us for ten months...needless to say our lifestyle changed in many ways.
The girls struggled with the move and a new school...missing their friends...picking on each other and hitting each other...so I implemented the marble system.
Sunday night they each got five marbles in a ziplock bag...if they lost all their marbles they lost computer, TV and phone privileges. At the end of the week we would have a "marble meeting"...each marble was worth a dollar.
The girls were responsible for feeding their dogs and cat, putting away their laundry, helping with meals, dishes and general housekeeping...AND they could not hit each other or pick on each other. Extraordinary behavior could be rewarded with an extra dollar at the marble meeting.
The girls did great...they lost a marble here and there...mainly just for walking up to one of their sisters and popping them one on the arm in front of Grandma. The tears would flow when they lost a marble...but they learned...no one ever lost all their marbles...and it helped Grandma to keep most of hers!
************
The marble system worked and the house was quiet when they all moved out.
I still collect marbles. They are small and don't take up too much room.
I still have room in the large jar!
Far Side
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments! If you have a question I will try to answer it here. I no longer accept anonymous comments. All comments will be approved before posting...due to spammers...may the fleas of a thousand camels infest every hair on his body. Connie