Saturday, September 19, 2026

Book Club 2026: September

 We read Looking For Jane by Heather Marshall.  

I give it an 8 out of 10.  It is not a book I would have picked to read.  That is the beauty of belonging to a group...you are challenged to read different books.  It is all about women and their struggles in homes for unwed mothers, obtaining illegal abortions, and motherhood.  

It was sometimes a very sad/mad read...it was presented by a good Author however her last plot twist seemed a bit like it was pulled out of the hat to suit her story line. 

What's cooking?  Chicken cordon blu, sweet potatoes and yellow beans. 
 
Minnesota weather: Cool and a few sprinkles of rain.   High was 63F or 17C   Low was 54F or 12C.
Far Side

9 comments:

  1. Living in the country limits me to a book club. I have not found one online yet, so I sort of follow your book club for a "book club" for myself. Love seeing what you are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - sounds like an interesting book. Worth keeping on my list at least. I'm currently reading Mad Mabel, which a former coworker had told me her book club was going to read this month. I'm only halfway so far. Your supper sound delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to check out book suggestions. Sometimes it's a pleasant surprise. We had a killing frost last night. brrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, it sounds like you were disappointed in the ending of the book. That's tough after investing time and energy on a book. Like you, I find that my emotions can be triggered through manipulation by authors. I admire their ability to do that by creating a scene and artfully placing characters they have carefully constructed in the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to avoid sad books now. There’s enough sadness in the real world. I don’t need more.

    I love sweet potatoes and they’re very healthy.

    Enjoy that cool weather. 96 here today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read that. And yes it's sad, makes one mad, and the whole time of life for those girls is just plain awful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a book that I would choose to read either. A dear friend of mine grew up in the 1930s living next door to a very nice neighbour who she was very fond of. It was only when she became an adult that she found out the neighbour was a backstreet abortionist. We would probably be very surprised to learn how many friendly neighbours did things like this. Interesting subject for a book though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see how Looking for Jane could be hard to read. It's a difficult subject. You're right about Book Clubs. They do make one read books otherwise passed over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you read with a group and discuss, you get much more out of a book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments! If you have a question I will try to answer it here. I no longer accept anonymous comments. All comments will be approved before posting...due to spammers...may the fleas of a thousand camels infest every hair on his body. Connie