Monday, September 7, 2026

Building a New Home

 Andy and Jen designed and are building a new home!  Exciting but lots of work.  We wish we could help them...but alas we are too old.  The last time we built something was over 25 years ago.

It is a large home, all one level with floor heat.  Three zones of floor heat our Son In Law says...our zone will no doubt be warmer than the other two zones. 

Yes we will have a Suite in the new home...a living room, bathroom, bedroom and a walk in closet.  Jen will have a huge craft room with a walk in closet that I can spend some time in.  The rest of the house is massive...laundry room, guest bedroom, bath, living room, dining/game area, kitchen, scullery and a master bedroom with office and bath. 

I am most excited about the scullery/skullery.  It is a place for food prep and keeping the mess contained. There should be room to keep all the appliances...mixer, toaster, air fryer, coffee maker etc within easy reach. 


Far Guy took this photo a week ago.  Most of the windows have been installed. 


Our Living Room view.

Still the living room but with a window.
Our bathroom, we ordered a walk in tub with a shower. 

Andy and Jen want to be able to move in before the snow flies.  I hope Winter arrives really late this year! 

Far Guy made to scale furniture to put on the house plans so we know what may work.   So I am thinking about paint colors and should make a design board.  I am thinking shades for the windows.  Lots of things to think about. 

Far Side


21 comments:

  1. That is so exciting! What a project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting news and it must be a relief to know that you will spend the last years of your life in good company. Someday in the future, this sort of thing will be present in my mind as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exciting news, cannot wait to see the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so very blessed...that is a dream come true for many seniors...and their caring for you taught them what will be needed for them as they age as well...that is wonderful...so very happy for you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! We're busy fixing up this old home, but how I'd love to build one from scratch! (Not me personally - but have the money to pay someone to build it from scratch for me to my exact specifications!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so super excited for all of you! Your new suite sounds wonderful! Most all of us reading this are a bit envious hearing about the food areas and craft room - - and of course, NO stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - sounds like a wonderful house. It's awesome to be able to plan exactly the spaces needed such as a designated crafting room. And the suite is even more awesome, with a relaxing view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting and happy you and Far Guy will have your own suite. Is this near their current home in SD? We built our home to be handicap accessible, but the outside entries would still be a problem for wheelchair entry. (And our builder, a great guy, was handicapped himself, but should have done better on the entry thresholds. 🤷‍♀️) RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northern Minnesota, North Dakota is just across the river.

      Delete
  9. The house sounds dreamy! Have fun planning! (Before the yuck of packing arrives!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very exciting! Building a home is stressful. I did not want to do it a second time, but here we are. Always nice when completed. Sounds like you plan on living there 100% of the time. Very sweet to have your own space, and even be able to make it your own! I have never heard of a scullery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is exciting for you, FG and the entire family. You are going to live one level. Stairs are not our friends. Floor heat will feel so good on your toes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dream about building a home someday. Instead we have rebuilt our first home into our forever home. But it doesn't stop me from looking at home plans! Sometimes I think I would like to build a new home just so I could have an empty home to move in what I want and sent the rest to the dump, lol .
    So fun to pick out all the details in your very special suite. This home sounds just lovely and I can't wait to see more updates.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting for all of you! Will your suite be your permanent home, or just for the winter months. Either way, enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are taking it one day at a time. No huge decisions yet.

      Delete
  14. What an exciting project to think about! My husband had installed, for his handicapped last wife, a walk-in tub. There are several things to consider, he said. They are rather small for a bigger person. Behind the seat is a large area which contained the motor. The tub took all of the hot water to fill. Getting out of the tub quickly, should there be an emergency, you either open the tub door and flood the bathroom or you wait for it to empty. Getting out of the bathroom quickly - well, is there a door to the outside or a way to send the water outside? Is a shower head very usable for a taller person? So many things to consider like a quick exit in case of a fire, or accessibility for emergency help? I don't want to discourage you, but until you've been through several emergencies you wouldn't want any rude surprises. KH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tub drains in less than a minute. Our son in law says there will be plenty of hot water and yes there is a door to the outside nearby.

      Delete
  15. That new house under construction sounds pretty wonderful. Wow!
    We built our "new" house about 48 years ago and we are still very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments! If you have a question I will try to answer it here. I no longer accept anonymous comments. All comments will be approved before posting...due to spammers...may the fleas of a thousand camels infest every hair on his body. Connie