The apples are really yummy. I made another Gluten Free Apple Crisp using a mixture of Granny Smiths and Honeycrisp.
Yesterday was a Gluten Free experiment... making GF Enchiladas. Bake a chicken breast then shred it and add a can of GF Cream of Chicken Soup and a small container of sour cream. Put some mixture in the bottom of a baking dish then fill some GF Corn Tortilla Shells partially full and line the pan with them top with remaining mixture and then top with GF Cheese (Not all cheese is GF) Bake at 350 about an hour. It was really good. Comfort food!
I am eating Gluten Free for the moment...until after Adam's Wedding because I do not want to be sick for that. My stomach is still not well.
I am pretty sure that the compartments in my stomach are folded over and allow foods to mingle. I do not like foods mingling...they should stay inside their compartments...so I think I have compartment failure.
I am sticking to the horrid BRAT diet mostly especially for breakfast and lunch. Slowly I am adding something different for supper....hence the Chicken Enchiladas! So far I am tolerating it ok.
Far Guy and I have seven Doctor appointments next week between the two of us. Far Guy is not thrilled.
Oh yes proof I baked!
Minnesota Weather: Cool High 65F or 18C Low 45F or 7CFar Side
It sounds like you really need to switch to an Asian diet. Being married to one, nearly all our meals are gluten free because the involve some sort of meat and vegetables served with rice which is gluten free. For that dish, instead of GF tortillas, we would like have used cooked white rice and I'm sure it would have tasted delicious.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited you have found some new things to try that are comfort foods! GF Apple Crisp is one of our favorites for sure!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about all the dr's appts. A person wouldn't care quite as much if they didn't have to wait so long in the waiting room. I found a new primary yesterday and LOVE her already. She seems super smart and is very personable and is a doctor - - not an NP. I could gush on but will save you the extra reading. The most impressive thing is when I mentioned some issues regarding past medications - - - that I knew were a problem - - she was already shaking her head sadly like those should not have been given for that length of time (that in regards to the allergy doctor). That made me feel better because I 'knew' that and guess I was glad to be affirmed even if those drugs had/have caused issues. Anyway, I am very optimistic because of her knowledge and respect for recognizing that whatever can be addressed with natural solutions rather than drugs will make me happy. COVID took my allergies to manmade drugs to a new level.
Praying you get LOTS of good reports this week. Also praying that your stomach continues to heal. I looked up the issue you mentioned. Do they know how to fix it? It looks like it is a tricky one but maybe manageable?
Barb made an apple pie from the apples we got from the farm. Delicious!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good idea to try gluten free recipes.
ReplyDeleteNow I know that cows have separate compartments in their stomachs...I kind of doubt you do. :)
You are an excellent cook/baker. I just now (after 19 years) figured out HOW to make a decent gf pie crust!!!
ReplyDeleteI don't blame you at all for being cautious so you can enjoy the wedding without more stomach issues. There are definitely more GF choices available these days that are tasty. The enchiladas sound delicious even if not going GF. I bought a pan of apple crisp at a bake sale last Saturday. It was delicious!! I'm not a good baker so buying it was a good option. LOL
ReplyDeleteDoes lactose-intolerance ever come into consideration? Just one more thing to think about.
ReplyDeletePossibly
DeleteOh, the apple crisp looks perfect. I’d have it warm with vanilla ice cream.
ReplyDeleteAnother health problem to deal with, but you can do it I’m sure. I’d be a failure for sure.
Good luck with the appts.
That apple crisp looks great!
ReplyDeleteWe are on a mini vacation until October when our next round of doctor appointments hit. No one tells you about that part of senior citizenship.
ReplyDeleteI think you are doing great with the new diets. I get very fed up very quickly when dealing with diet restrictions. I totally believe in keeping food separated so the stomach compartment issue sounds perfectly plausible to me!
We each eat a half of a Cosmic Crisp apple every day for lunch, but I have not baked with them.
ReplyDeleteYour recipes sound good, , but I fortunately do no have to go gluten free.
Good job of taking care of yourself.
Your apple crisp looks delicious! I have difficulty swallowing (this has been going on for several months now). I have had two tests done...an X-ray of my throat and chest and a barium swallow. Both showed no abnormalities. I am waiting for a call (which I am on a waiting list for) an appointment with a gastroenterologist to try and find out why I am having these issues.
ReplyDeleteI also have a chronic cough, and my doctor thinks these two problems are related.
Although I don't have any known allergies, I totally understand being afraid to eat some foods, just for a different reason.
Please take good care of yourself. Thank you so much for sharing your posts.
Stomach issues can be so hard to diagnose and treat (I know that from a family member). Good luck with the gluten free diet - gluten hides in so many things, including (possibly) some medicines you take.
ReplyDeleteAll my meds have been checked for GLuten
DeleteI know that worry about being able to make appointments or events. Yes, I would stick with anything that seems to be working for you. The apple crisp looks delicious! I hope all the appointments go well for both of you. :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck with those appointments!
ReplyDelete