Thursday, July 23, 2026

Slush

 Recently I ran onto this old recipe.  Rhonda gave it to me about 1977 or so.  It brought back some sad/good memories.  Her penmanship is very distinctive.


I made something similar using a can each of frozen orange juice and lemonade using whatever water is called for and about 1 1/2 cups vodka.  I also put it in an ice cream pail and let it get slushy.   Take out enough to fill your glass and then add 7 Up to brighten up the drink. 

Rhonda has been gone a long time, she was a good friend. She graduated from High School with Far Guy and we lived next door to her and her husband back in 1970.   She had MS and died from an infection in 2009, she lived her last years in a Nursing Home. 

Far Side

11 comments:

  1. It may be a thing of the past as it has been getting harder buying frozen orange juice concentrate in a can around here anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s wonderful to have a recipe that calls to mind a good friend. It makes the outcome taste even better. My good friend from high school shared her aunt’s banana bread recipe with me years ago. When I make it I recall a lot of happy days.

    We are having a cooler day today. I hope your day is filled with less pain and more cheer. Drink a glass for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so neat that you have the recipe card and I know just in seeing her handwriting, it has brought back some sweet memories. This sounds like a very refreshing drink....Thanks for sharing the recipe Connie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All my very old childhood friends are gone. It's sad really

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five quarts is a lot of tasty cool drink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's sounds like a great slushy drink for these hot days. I really like her handwriting too.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. LD....I find it amazing how we keep seeing people leave us. My mind keeps thing they all should still be here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so difficult to lose that kind of friend. Mine died of a virulent, fast cancer. I hear your pain because I think we share it. And, yes, I have a recipe in my pile in her handwriting.
    My friend was cheerful and herself right to the last. One of her cousins was in her hospital room with a fiddle and played stepdancing music. Laughter. And then, none.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure the recipe card brings back some good memories. Slush sounds delicious, especially with vodka added. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. It sounds like she did not have an easy time later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. On a hot day like today, that sounds downright tasty and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet reminder of your friend. Her recipe sounds very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments! If you have a question I will try to answer it here. I no longer accept anonymous comments. All comments will be approved before posting...due to spammers...may the fleas of a thousand camels infest every hair on his body. Connie