I like to think that I will be remembered as a gal who makes great potato salad instead of the dreaded Hobo Dinners that the girls called goreslop.
My Mother made the best coleslaw...I think powdered sugar was her secret ingredient. She made horrid macaroni with huge stewed tomatoes.
My Dad only cooked eggs... over easy or over hard....oh and Oatmeal not my favorite. He fostered my dislike of cottage cheese by making me eat it...but I got to quit trying after throwing up near him.
Far Guy's Dad made the best fried potatoes and the worst black almost thick coffee.
Far Guy's Mom made the best Caramel Rolls/Cinnamon Rolls. She loved to put a bay leaf in with a roast beef...not sure why...also not my favorite.
My Maternal Grandmother made so many wonderful foods...Russian Dill Pickles and Lemon Bars were my favorite. Old hens canned in a jar my least favorite.
My Aunt Marie made a Jello Salad...lime jello with a half of a pear perched on a lettuce leaf topped with the dreaded cottage cheese. But she made an awesome chicken and wild rice dish.
My Aunt Grace made the best Apple Bars in the Fall when apples were plentiful. She was a great cook and I cannot recall her worst dish.
My Aunt Skip was a baker...she made bakery style fried cinnamon rolls topped with a maple frosting or a white frosting with coconut...it was all good.
My Aunt Toots owned a restaurant she made ribs that people would drive miles to eat.
Son In Law Andy makes any kind of meat delicious...his best is ribs or maybe pork belly. His worst when he makes a black bean, meat, cheese, corn, guacamole and hot sauce concoction that is supposed to be all eaten together but it is way too many food groups for me to mix together.
Jen makes the best gluten free apple pancake!
What food do you hope to be remembered for?
Far Side
not sure...my grandmother was a pastry cook in a small hospital...made all their breads, pies, cakes, brownies, donuts, cookies, biscuits, yeast rolls etc...as a child i was her donut shaker...lol
ReplyDeleteMy chicken & dumplings...and fried chicken...and banana cookies.
ReplyDeleteHope all is well!
hugs
Donna
I'm guessing my kids will remember me for my salmon cakes and will probably dislike the most my tater tot casserole which I make maybe once a year to remind me of my favorite as a child.
ReplyDeletePotato salad is one of those "drawing a line in the sand" sort of foods. Everyone claims to make the best potato salad and yet nearly everyone always loves their mom's potato salad the best, including me. I turn my nose up at most potato salad because it just isn't my moms!
I always make the potato salad, too. And I always have BBQ ribs for my birthday dinner which we just had this past Saturday. 71 already - can't believe it! Fun to read all the memories of your foods and your family's foods. I look forward to reading your blog every day!
ReplyDeleteMy homemade hamburger patties, beef fajitas, eggplant parmesan, chocolate pies, and coconut pineapple cake. When I asked my husband, he said almost everything I cook is good. I’ll take that as a great compliment! RHill, TX
ReplyDeleteYou have made me hungry just reading this! I can't eat for a few minutes yet - - have to wait an hour after taking thyroid pill for it to be most effective or so they say. NO oatmeal or scrambled eggs for me - - sort of same reason. It was fourth grade. We had scrambled eggs one time and I did not want to finish them or could not for some reason but Dad insisted we would not waste food. He thought I was just being ornery. Same with oatmeal - - it was more a texture thing I think. To this day over sixty-five years later, I can gag just getting a wife of them. Again - - I am hungry after reading the list of the delicious items. Hmmm - - I have an orange sauce chicken recipe in my files I have wanted to try - - maybe today.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun post, and full of food memories for me too. I'm sure my whole extended family will say I'll be remembered for Deviled Eggs - because I get asked to bring them to every family gathering for decades. I really CAN make other things. LOL The food that made me throw up as a kid was stewed tomatoes, with saltine crackers crumbled on them. Makes me shudder to this day. My dad loved to cook and was known for his grilled turkey at Thanksgiving - cooked on the big rotisserie grill he built, with apple wood in the coals.
ReplyDeleteI remember that same nasty macaroni and large stewed (canned) tomato mess my mother made. It was NASTY!!!
ReplyDeleteMy mom was known for her great fried chicken and her meatloaf. My husband says my enchiladas are better than any he has ever had in a Mexican restaurant. I got high praise for my lentil soup made "alpha-gal" friendly for a church luncheon. So I dunno...
ReplyDeleteI think my grandkids will remember me by my "theme" meals - like Muffin Tin Monday when I divided lunch into cups of individual muffin tins. Or made pizzas in the shapes of my camp themes. Maybe from our own "Chopped" episodes when I provide ingredients and they make their own variations on a recipe.
ReplyDeleteOthers already think of me with two recipes. I will get facebook credit for my pie crust recipe really belongs to the Farm Bureau and for my potato soup recipe which I named after myself. I just stuck an O' in front of our Polish last name.
It used to be my barbeque which I made in a roaster. But now the sons and son in-laws have those Blackstone whatevers and took over the BBQ game.
Not sure...I"d have to think... but your list is mouthwatering or in some cases gag worthy
ReplyDeleteps.... remember times when kids would hide things behind their teeth and run to the john!
ReplyDeleteHmmm. I would say my specialties are all desserts: zucchini cake, raw apple cake, fudge brownies, all my labor intensive Christmas cookies.
ReplyDeleteOh, dear, I’m not a very good cook and it’s a joke in my family, but I can make good cornbread and I think my family will remember that. My fried okra is good too.
ReplyDeleteJen’s pancake looks like something I would love!
I am a mediocre cook at best - my food is edible, but not anything special. But I have been told I make the best chocolate chip cookies by multiple people
ReplyDeleteOkay....the last picture at the end of Jen's apple pancake has won me over. Goodness...it loooks amazing. Let's see...my kiddos say I am the queen of mac and cheese. They wouldn't eat a bite of it if I told them it has sour cream and a tiny touch of cinnamon in it... lol
ReplyDeleteMy grandmother made the best roast potatoes
ReplyDeleteMy mum made great baked custard tarts
My dad made great pikelets
Me I don't know what if anything I made was any good
Cinnamon fried biscuits that my grandkids demand: canned biscuits fried in oil then tossed in a cinnamon-sugar mixture. And chicken patties and rice that my daughter-in-law now makes for her family: frozen chicken patties fried in oil and gravy made from the drippings with rice. And sweet & sour ribs that everybody loves. It’s all hand written in a binder at the request of my daughter.
ReplyDeletePotato salad is certainly one of my favorites. I don't think I'll be remembered for any cooked food. My Mom was an awesome cook.
ReplyDeleteDennis likes my lasagna & Chili best. I just love to cook most anything. Unfortunately my back doesn't let me stand up long enough to make hardly anything anymore.
ReplyDeleteI loved your list. Yummy and make me hungry reading it.
Blessings,
Betsy
I guess my kids love my Lasagna , gingerbread and potato salad, oh and key lime pie!
ReplyDeleteMy mom was an excellent cook especially Carmel and Cinnamon rolls, different kinds of breads and strawberry pie! I couldn't even list them all.
I still make a strawberry or lemon poke cake that was so popular when I was in jr high school in the 60's and a chocolate lava cake that you poured very hot water over the batter. Love the old recipes that reminds me of friends and the past!
I think my kids will remember my homemade bread and cookies etc.. They have a great time laughing about how I always used to 'cremate' any meat. Since I do not eat it I always make very very sure it's done. Now that they're grown they eat their meat half raw.
ReplyDeleteI sure enjoyed your list today!
My homemade soups. I'm a one trick pony.
ReplyDelete