Sunday, August 9, 2026

Hitting the Wall

 If you have an autoimmune disorder you understand about "the wall." 

NO not the game show "The Wall."

Saturday I got up early...washed and dried my hair and got ready for the day.  Far Guy wanted to go to the Car Show...I dropped him off so he could visit with friends and appreciate the old cars and not have to walk blocks and blocks.  I waited in the vehicle and read my book.  The car got warm and I had about a ten minute nap.  When I woke up I knew I had hit the wall.  Soon after that Far Guy called and I picked him up where I dropped him off earlier.  We talked about going to a Community Picnic in the evening. I was pretty sure that I was not going.

For me the wall comes down like a veil.  There is no stopping it.  Back at home I did a few things...folded a load of laundry and got things ready for supper...for after my nap sleep.  I headed for the couch and was asleep as my head hit the pillow.  I slept for four hours.  I did not move...I had many dreams...I woke up stiff and sore.

How can a person sleep for four hours after a good nights sleep the night before...nine hours with only one bathroom break.  How can you feel like your body has been drug through a knot hole?  How can you be looking forward to ten PM when you can go back to sleep? 

Anyways I made us supper and cleaned up the kitchen. Now I am whining to you.   Thanks for listening.

Sadie against the front door...it came with a caption..."Sadie is broken"


Minnesota weather: High 83F  or 28C  Low 57F or 14C

What's Cooking?  Pork Burgers with no bun, corn on the cob and yellow tomatoes.  Far Guy cooked up a dozen ears of corn on Thursday then they are cooled put into storage bags in the fridge and then rewarmed in the microwave...it works for us!

Far Side

21 comments:

  1. Sounds debilitating. Since I can’t sleep, I often pine for being able to sleep and nap and rest. This made me realize I need to stop wishing for it. It’s really more activity robbing than not sleeping. I hope you are better today.

    FG sounds like he is able to enjoy some of his former interests. Blessings to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you needed that sleep! and yes it can happen. I went to bed at my regular time one night (around 10) and except for trips to the bathroom was totally shocked when I looked at the clock when I awoke. It was 11:30 in the morning. I never do that! But, I must have needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm glad you've learned to listen to your body. We don't get a prize for powering through:). I hope you feel better and rejuvenated. We have a beautiful day here today, sunny and high 84, we are heading to the beach!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whining is allowed once in a while. Especially when accompanied by such a cute picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The levels of energy changes in the elderly .

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did more in your 'wall' than most people do. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah ha, another fibromyalgia sufferer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoratic Arthritis and Lyme Arthritis

      Delete
  8. Sweet photo of Sadie.. I do totally understand this Wall. Having an autoimmune issue is much more than than those without one can understand. I actually see my rheumatologist next week and this is one of those appointments that I absolutely do not look forward to going to. I don't like being put on new meds and I'm always praying that the doctor doesn't have to change my medications.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I don't suffer autoimmune disorders, I am always amazed at the human capacity for sleep when healing is needed. I know when I get a bad cold or other illness, I can sleep a couple hours in the morning and afternoon and still knock out 9 or 10 hours during the night and STILL feel like I didn't get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I regularly hit the wall. I don't always end up taking a nap. Sometimes just sitting a while revives me. I think hitting the wall becomes more frequent as I age.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you as I''ve had lupus for nearly 30 years and it is an autoimmune disease. It also comes with non-restful sleep and that's a major bummer. Why nap? I'll be just as tired when I wake up. Have you ever read The Spoon Theory? It's on-line and not long but explains our lack of energy clearly.
    Sweet Sadie!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My arthritis is osteo, not not autoimmune, and that's bad enough. You, on the other hand, can't just have one kind, you have to have three? Uffdah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear you've hit that wall again. I'm glad you could sleep though, as your body obviously needed it. Oh - I do understand that wall. One of my daughters has various auto immune issues, as do a couple of my friends. My mother most likely did too, although that wasn't something doctors even thought of back then. She has been gone 35 years. I haven't had any diagnosed but am wondering if some of the problems cropping up lately could be auto immune related too. Hopefully better days will come this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How frustrating to sleep and yet not wake up refreshed. I'm surprised at what you get done in spite of not feeling at all well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darn wall. I'm glad you guys were able to go out for a little while. It's no fun to sleep your life away. Your corn sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My increased capacity/need for sleep is interesting. I can't figure out if it is just because I am older, or if it has to do with recovering from recent problems....but some days by 10:30 I'm wiped out. I try to struggle on, but I have come to realize I won't accomplish much, whatever I do I am likely to mess up, and I'll be a grump. You are amazing to accomplish what you do, even with that driving need for rest! Take it easy, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry about hitting "the wall". I've never been a daytime sleeper...until covid. I've had it three times and I fall asleep at the drop of a hat now. Except at night when I want to go to sleep. I would never trust myself to drive cross country anymore. Sometimes I don't even realize that I'm falling asleep!
    I sure hope things get better for you soon. I l also cook a big batch of corn on the cob so we can just warm it up. Yummy!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I understand the"wall" all too well. I have Crohns and I never know what my day will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so thankful you posted this! It is reassuring to know that this is not an uncommon experience among those who are our age. The true thing about it is you really cannot stay awake when it hits - - - it is like falling into an instant coma. There is generally no way to keep going no matter how much caffeine a person consumes.
    Also thankful that you both get to do things you enjoy. That. is how it is with us, too - - as long as our schedule is flexible and we don't have to absolutely have to be there at a certain time - - - other than the doctors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments! If you have a question I will try to answer it here. I no longer accept anonymous comments. All comments will be approved before posting...due to spammers...may the fleas of a thousand camels infest every hair on his body. Connie