Sunday, August 2, 2026

Chokecherries

 The Chokecherries along the driveway are ready to be picked...or left for the birds.


The foliage of the Chokecherry bushes looks all beat up...probably from the heat. 


When the berries are this color they are ready to be picked...they will strip off easily.

Yippie for the birds...sadly I do not have the energy to pick them.  Picking is only half the work...

We had a quiet day on Saturday.  I did some laundry and almost finished my current book. My other baby brother and she who sees robins first visited along with their Grand Lola. 

What's Cooking?   Smoked Pork Chops, Green Beans with Bacon and a Baked Potato. Yummy!

Minnesota Weather:  High 82F or 28C  Low was 61F or 16C  almost a perfect weather day! We could still use some rain!

Far Side


11 comments:

  1. My grandma used to make chokecherry jelly every year!
    I'm excited my blackberries are finally ripening. I have a bunch to pick today, but it's raining so I'm sitting here with the windows open, listening to the rain

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall picking chokecherries and pincherries with my mom as a young teen. In fact I was just thinking about it the other day and trying to recall how mom might have pitted these. But she didn't - there was cheesecloth involved and a bowl and lots of mashing or squeezing. Of course, I didn't help with that, :p. Now, eating the jelly she made from them...I could do that for certain!
    Hope the weather stays nice and the smoke of the fires disappears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The meal would be a great one to invite me to join you and FG. I love smoked pork chops.Baked potatoes are a puck of mine. I don’t want them loaded just sour cream, but green beans with bacon is the biggest treat. Oh, my, they are so good.

    Sorry, you can’t make your chokeberry jelly. At least the birds are having a great dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Energy seems to be in shorter and shorter supply these days, and I don't even have your health issues. I'm actually glad that we can't grow much of a vegetable garden anymore. Too much work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand that exhaustion. The birds will enjoy the berries, especially in this hot weather. it is what it is. Glad you had a day of rest and even some visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think we have Chokeberries in our area. With the heat we are having, I would have to let the birds fend for themselves with the berries. Do these berries have a distinct taste...just wondering how the jelly would taste..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the berries will pucker you up, the seeds inside are poisonous I used a steamer to extract the juice. The juice is mixed almost 1/1 with sugar:)

      Delete
  7. The birds will enjoy your lack of motivation. Ha! I can definitely understand it. We spent the day yesterday watching the fires in Spokane online. Our old house is in the yellow zone which is the 2nd level of evacuation which is next after GO NOW! So sad.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love choke cherries but like you there's no one here to pick or process them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know that chokecherry seeds are poisonous. My Mom used to make a kind of sauce with chokecherries and we'd dip thick slices of homemade bread in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I planted choke cherries several years ago, but the seeds did not grow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments! If you have a question I will try to answer it here. I no longer accept anonymous comments. All comments will be approved before posting...due to spammers...may the fleas of a thousand camels infest every hair on his body. Connie