Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Wistful Wednesday: Home On leave

June of 1973, we were home on leave in Minnesota.  We had been at Lowry AFB in Denver Colorado and were headed for MacDill AFB in Tampa Florida.

June 1973 (3)

Trica was 14 months old then and we had a little Scottie mix mutt of a dog named Snuffer who would live a good long time.  We traveled light.  Everything we had fit in the back of a pickup truck.

 carey Gene 1973 (3)

My baby brother was home then, he was honorably discharged from the Navy due to a knee injury.

Being home was bitter sweet, we didn’t know when we would be back or when we would see loved ones or relatives again but we were excited to see a different part of the United States.  Florida is a long way from Minnesota.  Far Guy orignally had orders for Bitburg Germany. (He had requested Grand Forks ND, Minot ND and Mountain Home ID) We were upset with the orders for Germany…I wouldn’t be able to go for a long time because we would have to save up for my plane ticket and Tricas and our dog Snuffer would have to be quarantined for six months either that or stay with Far Guy’s parents.  One of the single guys offered to trade his spot at MacDill and Far Guy took the trade…the next day we could have had Mountain Home and $100…but a trade is a trade.

Military life had a fair amount of twists and turns.

Thank you to the Veteran’s in my life.  My husband, my father, my baby brother, my nephew, my uncles and many of my cousins.

Blog Signature

11 comments:

Cynthia said...

I forget that you didn't always live in Minnesota and near your family. I think it's good to experience life in other places. I know I wouldn't trade my travels for anything. Thanks to the veterans in your family for their service.

Pauline Persing said...

I like the photo of the three of you. When I see photos like that of our life, I always think..."another lifetime". Looking back on life is like flipping through the pages of a very long book...so many chapters. Glad you are with your family now. Thanks to all the veterans of your family.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Amen.

Sam I Am...... said...

It reminds me of those years in my life since we are so close in age...at least our kids are. Far Guy looks handsome in his uniform and you look so cute in your outfit and baby Tricia....I can't believe how long ago that was...it seems like yesterday.

DJan said...

I too had forgotten that you ever lived anywhere but Minnesota. And thank you to your Veterans, and mine, too.

Rita said...

I didn't know it was possible to trade posts! Learned something new. Glad you got to trade--wow! :)

Paula said...

Such neat photos. And I love the stories that accompany them. The only time I lived away from Kansas was when my ex was in the military!

Red said...

Transfers were tough on families but the experience and training were worth it. for my son, his experience looked good on resume.

Linda Reeder said...

It was interesting to see the photos and the stories that go with them.

Granny Marigold said...

I enjoyed the photos and your story.

L. D. said...

A kodachrome photo of years ago. My brother was headed to Vietnam but a general liked Ron. He pulled him off the list to go and he drove the guy around for the rest of his service in Washington state. . My brother was small and learned to play the behavior game to get promoted. Ironically he was the smallest of all of us four and he is the one that was drafted. Friends of mine did go to Germany through Army and another one went to Japan at the time period. Another friend was a bookkeeper on the South-North Korean border. The service life was usually unpredictable back then as guys would sign up for something and never really did that job.