Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Wistful Wednesday: The Boat House

The Boat House at the resort on Straight Lake.

Last summer.

IMG_2593

Not the greatest photo with the sunspot.  But you get the idea.   It has a stone foundation.

In 1989

Boat House August 1989

We used to keep the lawn mowed close to the lake.  I almost went into the lake a few times with the lawn mower making a circle on the bottom of that hill.

The steps on the left are still looking good.  Far Guy and I used railroad ties and rebar and leveled the dirt between the ties with a shovel.  It took us most of an afternoon.  We were younger then.

Most structures cannot be this close to the lake anymore.  This boat house was most likely built in the 1920’s.

The downstairs was used for storage of life jackets, tackle, extra anchors, boat cleaning supplies and a tub of night crawlers that we harvested ourselves and sold on the honor system.

The upstairs was a great place to sit and play cards or look at the lake.  We had many tables and chairs, a ping pong table, a pop machine, and a couple of pin ball machines and bookshelves with books and games.  If we had a gathering..like a confirmation or graduation or wedding shower if it was in late spring, summer or early fall it was a perfect place to host a gathering when you were going to feed a whole bunch of people.

Blog Signature

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love the rock foundation.

Cynthia said...

It's so quintessential "Up North". I worked at summer camps during college and MIGHT recall a few boathouse kissing sessions. 😇

marlu said...

What a neat place to have for "hanging out."

DJan said...

I smiled when I thought of you almost mowing the lawn into the lake. Glad you stayed upright along with the lawn mower. Lovely place. :-)

Pauline Persing said...

Sounds like there are lots of wonderful memories in this photo.

thecrazysheeplady said...

What a great boat house!

Tired Teacher said...

I'm glad the boat house is still used and is being maintained.

Anonymous said...

I could live there.

Mac n' Janet said...

What a great looking place, do you still own it?

Karen said...

All of the comments above! I like the grey/blueish colour you had it Maybe it is just the photo, but is blends in with the trees the best.

Rita said...

Boat houses are great! Looks like this one has been kept up--new windows and such. Yes-great for gatherings. :)

Patsy said...

We have had many fun days on lakes fish-in and playing sad to say
those days are over for us.

Intense Guy said...

Hey! The photo makes me want to be THERE!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

No

Sam I Am...... said...

I like the green version the best with the small window panes....it looks more true to when it was built. I had to laugh when you said you went in the lake mowing...sorry but I could just picture it. I bet you were surprised! Did the mower ever work again? What a peaceful and lovely area.

Red said...

It's somewhat sad to go back to places you'd lived and where you'd worked your heat and soul out

Granny Marigold said...

The boat house would have been the ideal place for gatherings I'm sure.