Monday, November 27, 2017

Christmas Projects Begin

I updated the computer Christmas Card Address list, a few people had moved…luckily I quickly got their address via a private message on facebook.   Perhaps I should just send their Christmas Card via facebook too.  I also updated my real address book…the one I can page through and look up an address.

IMG_6782

Far Guy says he has an idea for the Christmas Letter…some kind of wonderful Christmasy computer paper will be purchased soon.  Another ink cartridge is on the list too.

The wood carved Christmas Ornaments will be mailed today.  I am certain I will cause a long line right outside the door at the Post Office. We will have an ornament give away soon…maybe beginning Thursday and ending Sunday so I can get them in the mail next Monday.

The Cookie Exchange is coming up soon.  I bought some coffin shaped tins, presentation is important!  I have decided to make fudge. Three kinds. The no fail one with marshmallow creme, a white chocolate dried cherry fudge and a layered fudge with caramel, salted peanuts and maybe peanut butter and butterscotch chips.  The plan is to make all the fudge in one day, package it all up and put it in ice cream buckets in the freezer and when I arrive at the Cookie Exchange I can put everything in the tins.  I know I can make the no fail fudge recipe…but thoughts of a time when I made fudge when the girls were little keeps coming into my head…the fudge never set up and had to be scooped up with a spoon.  The girls didn’t seem to mind.

It took me over a week to decide what to make for the exchange, this week I will gather all the supplies and next week the fudge making will commence. My first idea was chocolate covered potato chips…someone said “That doesn’t sound real Christmasy to me.” ( He likes fudge and I never make it.)

I had real good luck making gluten free pumpkin bread over Thanksgiving. I used my normal recipe and substituted rice flour for regular flour…almost the same amount perhaps a third of a cup more.

Blog Signature

15 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love that photo. I need to start baking this week but I'm limiting myself to three kinds of cookies. Now we just have to agree on which three!

linda m said...

I love the photo you posted. I am not doing any baking this year - no one but myself to eat it (hubby's not a cookie person). Christmas cards are done and ready to be mailed. Hung the "carved" ornament you made and I won from your contest on my tree over the weekend. Sure is pretty.

DJan said...

When I was young I loved fudge, but I think sometime or other I must have overdone it, because now when I think of it I feel a little sick. Leave it to me to quit a good thing! Your cornbread, though, sounds wonderful. :-)

Tired Teacher said...

Chocolate covered potato chips are yummy - just the right mix of sweet and salty.

Terry and Linda said...

You are so busy....makes me feel tired.

Rita said...

And so the baking begins! Chocolate covered potato chips are really delicious, but so is fudge. ;)

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Fudge. I tried making the cooked kind with the candy thermometer once and it turned out okay despite my lack of experience. I bet yours will be delicious. We used to send the bourbon fudge made by monks from somewhere but this year will probably pass on it.

Red said...

Cookie walks are big here. they are excellent fundraisers. I haven't heard of cookie exchange for a long time.

Granny Marigold said...

I remember flying out to be with a friend for a while and she made a boiled fudge which didn't set up. We ate it with spoons and it tasted great. I usually stick to the no-fail one but your layered fudge with caramel sounds good. I wonder if it's easy to make; if so maybe you'd share the recipe.

The Furry Gnome said...

Sounds like a lot of work!

Linda Reeder said...

I am making a quilt that will be a gift, so I am behind in other Christmas preparations. But it's still early in the season, and I'll catch up. I have never made fudge, cookies being my specialty, but I do love it.
You sound very organized.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Oh what yummy sounding things to cook. I am glad to have Facebook to connect me to people but it is different....

Lady Fi said...

Wow - you are really in the festive spirit! I haven't even started yet.

MTWaggin said...

Fudge is a PERFECT item and I love the coffin tin idea - haha. Cannot wait to read that Christmas letter, it always makes me chuckle! You guys are the best.

Sam I Am...... said...

Fudge....wow...you're good! I'm not much of a candy eater so it has never been part of our Christmas baking...in fact we never made any Christmas candy per se. But I did make that "Christmas Crack" last year with the saltines, caramel and chocolate and nuts....so good! My mailman came knocking on my door and asked if he could have the recipe! LOL! I'll say a fudge prayer for you! Why the coffin? Wouldn't that be more appropriate at Easter? LOL!