Sunday, September 10, 2017

Sunsets

We went for a ride after supper, Chance was restless and followed me around after supper, being a pill as I folded a load of laundry….he hates the scary utility room so he gave me “the Border Collie stare”  from the kitchen.  He told me that Far Guy forgot his treat…he went between me and his treat door…I hollered at Far Guy “Chance says he did not get his after supper treat.  Did you forget?”  “No” came the reply. Perhaps Chance forgot… more than likely he just wanted seconds. We are sometimes manipulated by a dog…what more can I say.

old farm in the disyance 

Chance is easily distracted by the word walk and then a ride.

Recently we listened to the audio book And Every Morning The Way Back Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman.  A poignant novella about relationships, aging and dementia.  Jen recommended it and put it on Far Guy’s new I Phone so we would be entertained on the way home from up North the other night. Yes it made me cry but I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Hay field at sunset

Hay field at sunset.

We will never be as young as we are today. Our memories will never ever be as good as they are today, right now….if we are lucky enough to share those memories with someone that actively listens then the listener is richer for it.

Sunsets are beautiful along with lives well lived, something to be relished after a good day when you can still remember who you are, where you live and who you love.

Blog Signature

17 comments:

Cathie said...

Great sentiments!

marlu said...

Dogs are so smart. They know how to trick us with those "looks." Your photos are beautiful.

Mac n' Janet said...

Really enjoyed your post today, I will look for the book. Our cat tries to manipulate us to.

Tired Teacher said...

A good message today: too often we get bogged down with life and forget to actually live in the moment.

Red said...

You're last two paragraphs are absolutely true whether we like it or not.

Terry and Linda said...

Your summation of our time now made me tear up. You are so right.

Linda Reeder said...

I will remember the message of this post. Today we travel south a hundred miles to celebrate my sister's 50th wedding anniversary. All of my siblings will be there. So far most of us are still enjoying life, albeit at a senior citizen rate. We are fortunate.

Rita said...

Wonderful post--from dog manipulation to poignant sentiments. :)

Andrea said...

What a beautiful post!! And we too are manipulated by a furry family member... our 15yo cat. :-)

Georgina said...

Why is your utility room scary? I wonder what Chance thinks. Dogs can be like a child with divorced parents if you let them. Well done for not giving in.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Only Chance knows for sure:)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the Backman book. I loved it! I remember being easily manipulated with several dogs as I was growing up. Beautiful sunset photo.

Jacqi Stevens said...

Can't believe how green that field looks in the purple of that sunset. Beautiful photos. Thoughtful sentiment, well stated. Thanks for the book recommendation.

Granny Marigold said...

I really appreciated today's post. Very timely as we get older.

Bracken is forever pretending he didn't get breakfast/supper. He can look so darn convincing too! ( I don't think any dog loves food as much as a Lab.)

DJan said...

Oh I'll read that one. He wrote "A Man Called Ove" too, I think. Chance knows how to play one of you against the other. :-)

L. D. said...

The smooth sky sunsets are just as wonderful as the others cluttered up with clouds. It does look like a cooler weather sunset. Great colors that Minnesota does get.

Sam I Am...... said...

Well said! I'll have to get that book! Beautiful pics...make me homesick.