Friday, September 22, 2017

Cards and a Hand Update

I received a few Get Well I am glad your surgery is over cards!  Then I got a package in the mail from Kansas with some books to keep me occupied!  Thank you all, it is great to get unexpected mail!

Get well books and cards

Then it was my birthday and a few more cards showed up in the mail.

Birthday cards

That cake is filled with a whole lot of candles!

My parents took us out for a late lunch/early supper yesterday and my Mom made a cake with coconut and brown sugar frosting!  They both said that they didn’t think they would live long enough to see a child as old as me.. I replied “I didn’t think I would ever be this old either”  and we all laughed.

My Mother sewed a new kitchen curtain valance for my birthday.  I dropped that hint on her a few months ago when I saw a fabric I fell in love with that is part of a Minnesota Collection. We got out one of my old curtains for a pattern and when I clean the shade and wash the window I will put it up and take a photo.

The hand report.

I am three weeks post carpal tunnel release surgery today.  I have burning in two areas of my wrist/hand.  It is still swelling.  I ice it all night and sometimes during the day.  I take Aleve and Ibuprofin every day. I have good mobility but there are still some things I cannot do.  Like wring out a wash cloth…or my hair ( I have long grey hair)…pull anything toward me…like heavy drawers, open bottles of anything, push the car door open.  Three weeks and I have not driven the car…heck I cannot drive a grocery buggy so I let Far Guy drive.  Pushing, pulling  or reaching out is painful, anytime the palm of my hand comes in contact with anything I have pain.…I am getting real used to being a lefty. It is very possible that I have nerve damage and it will just take time and patience to recover.  Sometimes I am sorry I had the surgery…but then I recall the pain I had before…six of one half a dozen of the other….at least there is a chance that this burning pain will go away…someday. Getting old is not for sissies.

A bit of good news I had a biopsy taken from a small growth above my eyebrow.  It is just some kind of cyst and not cancerous per my dermatologist who went over every inch of my body. She likes doing small surgeries so I think I made her day by having something that looked troublesome that she could remove.

Blog Signature

18 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

So glad you had a great birthday but dang about the hand still. It reminds me of when I first got RA....it started with a burning in the thumb joint and I was constantly rubbing it but that was just the beginning. My son, Ben hurt his shoulder and had surgery and now he can barely use it and they can't do any more for him....he was always a physical, hard worker and now he has to find a new line of work. Sometimes it makes you wonder about 'medical miracles'. The old saying 'don't ask a question you don't want the answer too'. I'm averse to doctors most of the time....I try not to go looking for trouble unless, like you, I am in pain and then it's a toss up. It does take a long time to heal at our age...my toe is still purple looking but he told me it would take several months for that to go away but I am not in pain and grateful the infection had not gone into the bone (actually, I did not even know that was possible until he told me that is why he wanted x-rays) I pray your hand will heal and the pain will go away....there's crafts to do!!!
What a sweetie your Mother is to make you a curtain and that cake recipe sounds wonderful! Glad you had a good birthday and laughter is always good! Take care and I can't wait to see your new valance. I wonder if they make material for other states? Oh, BTW, I read the other day that Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin are in the Top 10 states to retire! Arkansas is like #48.....I could have told them that! LOL!

linda m said...

That was so sweet of your mother to make that valance for you. Sorry to hear that you still have pain and swelling. You are in my daily prayers for God's healing.. Happy to hear that the cyst was benign. Happy First Day of Fall and have a great weekend.

DJan said...

That's a bummer about your hand. Hopefully it will get better enough for you to get back to your normal activities. I also wish you a happy birthday, old person who is not as old as me! :-)

Henny Penny said...

I'm not worth two cents! Here's wishing you a late "Happy Birthday"! I'm sorry about the pain and burning in your hand. Hope it goes away soon. I've just read back to the post about your birthday. You are so right about getting old! But you are still young!

Pauline Persing said...

Indeed, you are still young. You won't catch up with me anytime soon. Hang in there with that hand. What else can you do? I remember I had to keep telling myself this hand will feel better eventually. It did. I don't have any twinges any more. I won't tell you how long it was before the last twinges stopped. Don't remember for one thing. But the hand felt better than it did before the surgery long before the last twinges stopped. Sorry to hear you still have to ice it every night. Hope the ice is helping more than it did at the beginning.

Red said...

My Dad lived long enough to have a 68 year old kid, me!. I'm not sure he appreciated it in the end. Your folks seem to be enjoying a very goo quality of life.

Terry and Linda said...

Old age is really not golden, just shiny brass!

Rita said...

That is so cool your mom sewed you a new Minnesota valance! Can hardly wait to see it. So sorry about your hand, but don't they say 6-8 weeks for recovery? This too may pass. Happy birthday, Lady! I still think FarGuy got you an awesome present!! ;)

thecrazysheeplady said...

Well, I guess you'd want the years to pass slowly, but a hand recovery to pass quickly. Probably an unsolvable math problem...like so many are to some of us ;-D.

Anonymous said...

I love that your folks are still around to celebrate with you. Here's the hack I came up with for wringing out dishcloths with my broken wrist in case you're interested: https://goodnightgram.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/this-n-that/ But hey, as long as Nice Guy is there to help, who needs a hack, right? Sending good wished your way.

Linda W. said...

Happy B-day! Yes, it's hard waiting for a surgery to heal....especially when it's a vital body part such as hand. Hang in there!

Linda Reeder said...

It sounds like you got lots of love for your birthday! I'm sure that helped with the pain.
With my hand surgery and nicked nerve, I had to press on the incision where the nerve pain was and make it hurt worse to desensitize it. It took a while, but it worked.

Granny Marigold said...

Well, I hope I never need hand surgery ( or any other surgery either) because I'm such a chicken when it comes to pain. Makes me wonder how I ever survived having babies!!
I envy you that you still have your mom. Mine would be 104 by now if she had lived.

Lady Fi said...

Ouch -that hand surgery sounds so painful. My sister had it a few years ago, and I remember it being painful for a long while. But then it was better than ever.

Jacqi Stevens said...

Happy belated birthday! Sad to hear your "progress" still requires icing--brrrrr! in the winter--and hope the pain goes away soon! On the bright side, think of all those brainy nerve connections you're making by using your left hand more than ever!

L. D. said...

I really hope that a turning point comes soon for you. I have basically taken a week off from using my hands even though that is impossible. We got rid of some ugly curtains in our new house bedroom and someday will burn the curtains in the basement as they are ugly. We reused a dining room set of curtains in our guest bedroom and they worked perfectly. I am so glad your parents are out and about. I like hearing of the things they do. Being the baby of the family, my parents have been gone for quite awhile. Behave your self and heal.

Shirley said...

It's tough not doing all the things we normally take for granted. Hope you will not have too much longer to go before you are all back to normal.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing your new kitchen curtain! Thankful you rec'd a good report from the dermatologist. I pray your hand will improve soon.