Friday, July 28, 2017

Chance: Leg Troubles

Hiya it is me the most handsome Border Collie in Minnesota! 

I am having some leg troubles, my right rear leg collapses on me sometimes.  I had a couple of crashes on the steps, so now they have a fence up at the bottom of the stairs and I am not supposed to go up or down unassisted.

I am not in any pain…it just happens to older dogs…good thing I have three good legs!

I had company this week, I tried to play ball until Far Side said “NO more.”  She also said “Border Collies don’t know when to quit.”  These are some of my bestest friends from North Dakota, who used to live next door…the twins are the same age as me.  I got lots of lovin’. ( I am the reason they are not afraid of dogs…they were very afraid of me when I was little and they were little….then they learned to throw the ball.)

IMG_3737

I gave them all kisses…IMG_3728

Sometimes I follow Far Side to the gardens.

IMG_3528

Mostly I lay down to rest and sleep.  Far Side says with rest I might recover.  The next week or so will tell the story.   I had the same leg troubles last winter on the ice…but back then they blamed it on the ice… this time they think it is the nerves in my old back that causes my one weak leg.  They are taking good care of me!

IMG_2770

21 comments:

Cathie said...

It's tough getting old isn't it Chance? Take care.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Beautiful dog with lots of love to give it seems. Old age isnt for sissies for sure...I know!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Wonder if a dog chiro/acupuncturist would help? Best not to get too "fluffy" there, Chance ;-).

linda m said...

You still are the handsomest Border Collie in MN. Take care of yourself and listen to Far Side when she tells you to take it easy. It sure isn't fun getting old.

Blogoratti said...

Tough when age is in play. Heartwarming thoughts an photos. Warm greetings to you.

Jenn Jilks said...

Old age sucks, but the alternative... My 93-year-old respite client has much the same issue.

DJan said...

Chance, you are such a wonderful dog, and I know if you just spend most of your time resting, you'll get better, for awhile at least. I am sending you lots of virtual pets! :-)

Tired Teacher said...

Your caregivers are wise to set limits for your activities and to place barriers on the stairs. Listen to them and things could get better.

Mac n' Janet said...

Hope it gets better, I use to have an ankle like that.

Anonymous said...

Oh Chance....I hope your leg gets better. Old age isn't for sissies, is it. Take care.

Sam I Am...... said...

Dear Chance,
So sorry to hear about your leg problems. Growing old is not for the faint of heart! I am having the same problems especially when I have been laying down for awhile. I have a really hard time getting up from the linoleum floors! Mom hates the carpeting but for me it helps give me some traction. Annie has back problems and by the end of the day she is having troubles getting up the steps but we manage. Mom says she will get the ramp out if we need it which we don't like but may have to resort to in the future. I have fallen a few times but mostly from that darn ramp...I don't like it! Hang tough my friend!

Linda W. said...

Oh poor Chance! Sorry to say this happened to our border collie Bear when he got old...Hang in there buddy.

Terry and Linda said...

Hey, Buddy Chance! I understand. After my 'almost going to see Fuzzy' time I just don't have it in me to do what I used to do. You hang in there...we old ones know a thing or two...sleep and rest are two good things. Boomer

Rita said...

Rest up! They do take good care of you. Glad you had some kid company! :)

Red said...

Sorry to hear about this, Chance. I hope you have a speedy recovery. By the way, do get old age pension yet?

Karen said...

I too would recommend getting Farside to drag you off to a veterinary chiropractor. I know well what good it has done my gang.

Unknown said...

I think every dog we've had, from big Aussies to little mutts, had some kind of leg trouble. Some problems were operable, some were not. Our very practical vet would always tell us, "God gave dogs three legs and a spare".

vickit43 said...

Poor Chance. Prayers you feel better soon. I am glad that you have great parents to take care of you.

Shirley said...

I was going to suggest chiro too.

Shirley said...

Do you take MSM? Anything to help creaky joints? Hope that it gets better!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes he takes Hip and Joint stuff too! :)