Friday, July 21, 2017

A sign for Josh

My nephew Joshua asked me to paint a sign for his rock at the end of his driveway.  I said “Fine let me look at it.” Now his rock is pretty huge so I figured the sign would be a “project.”

The sign

As you can see it took up a large portion of my desk.  The letters were deeply imbedded in the wood and I used a dental syringe filled with paint to work my magic. 

That fish worried me.  Was it a Walleye? Possibly.  I knew it was not a Northern Pike.  It was not a Sunfish. I decided to just do some fish like colors!  I had never painted a fish before.  Uffda what have I gotten myself into???  Good thing I love my nephew! I will drive by this sign on the rock when ever I leave and return home …so it better be good!

Mason and Josh

I worked on it a number of hours days and fretted over that fish.  I finally called Josh to pick it up…he was in charge of sealing it.  He liked it and so did Mason.

Sign attachment in progress

Josh and Missy sealed it and last weekend it was attached to the rock.

Finished signs

An unexpected project was finished! 

I am not going into the sign painting business anytime soon.

Blog Signature

28 comments:

Cynthia said...

I think you will be quite happy to see this sign every time you use your driveway. I love the natural wood and the subtle colors of the fish. Good job!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

You did a great job with the sign and the fish was just perfect! lol I know they are happy with it, and you should be as well.

Intense Guy said...

Beautiful!!!

Looks like a Largemouth Bass to me!!

DJan said...

Looks great! I think you have unlimited talents. :-)

Glenlainey said...

Well done!!

Phyllis Pritchard said...

Very Nice!!!

Jan said...

They wanted a sign and got a work of art,

Tired Teacher said...

Well done - it looks great!

Mac n' Janet said...

WOW! It's quite wonderful.

Lynda said...

That is a gorgeous entrance!!! Who did the woodwork art on the sign? You did a phenomenal labor of love!

Shirley H. said...

Beautiful sign!

Terry and Linda said...

You are amazing! Well done!

Karen said...

You did a great job on the sign, fish included! How do you pronounce that name?

Rita said...

OMGosh! It looks great! With the boys holding the sign you really realize how big it is. You did a wonderful job on the fish, too, BTW. :)

Anonymous said...

You did an incredible job!

Far Side of Fifty said...

No idea who did the woodworking

Far Side of Fifty said...

Ha! ILL a KNEE me :)

Terra said...

You created a gorgeous sign and the fish looks good. That is a sign to keep forever.

Granny Marigold said...

A LOT of work but you sure did a great job!!

Pauline Persing said...

Good looking sign.

Red said...

I love to see the Finish names. We have quite a few Finish people here.

diane in northern wis said...

Wow ....that sign turned out really great! Good for you. No wonder they like it so much. You and your hubby are talented in so very many ways. I love reading your blog. Always so informative and fun to read. Thank you!

Linda Reeder said...

Beautiful job, great results!

Shirley said...

Well done! Whatever the fish is, it looks great :0)

marlu said...

Lovely sign!

Karen said...

Haha, you had me wondering if your 'Ha!' was part of the pronunciation, but I looked back at the actual name and decided not ;-) Quite a simple pronunciation, considering the spelling....!

Sam I Am...... said...

Beautiful sign and landscaping! Did you carve the sign too? You do beautiful work no matter what you tackle! How do you know how to do all these things?

Far Side of Fifty said...

No I did not carve the sign, I just painted it. LOL I will try almost any craft once:)