Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Wistful Wednesday: Veterans

First of all thank you to all the Veterans out there men and women who all make our country safer.   Many people don’t know the personal or family sacrifices that a military family must make.

Far Guy is a Veteran 26 plus years….some years were easier than others.

We are still searching for this photo.  Far Guy found the negative and scanned it.  The original photo was put away so well neither of us can remember where we put it.  I think I put him in charge of it but since I didn’t write it down and have him sign and date my statement…it doesn’t count.

He was always flying off someplace.  Half the time I had no idea where he was, he would call home “Collect” and I would ask where are you now?  One time I sent a camera with him…and he took this selfie. (Way before selfies were popular.)

Gene in the second seat F 4

Far Guy in the back seat of an F-4.  No he does not know how to fly.

He went to California via goodness knows where and it took him the better part of a week to return home…California via Idaho…via Montana via Arizona…after daily phone calls I finally said call me from the base if you ever get back home.  Some of the guys lost all their baggage when a baggage pod came apart over the Pacific Ocean…some how most of them ended up at some golf classic in Arizona…then when he finally might get home some IDIOT put sand on the runway at Hector Field so the F-4’s couldn’t land and he was going to Grand Forks…well yippee..that didn’t happen either. 

I think it was a long flight for him…something about taking apart part of the divider in cockpit to get a better view of where they were heading.Jan 1979 inside the cockpit

1979 Trip to California.

Planes over California

F-4 Aircraft as seen out the window of another F-4 Aircraft.

Thank you honey for your service to our country, although I may bitch and moan about all the alone time I do appreciate your sacrifices.

Blog Signature

16 comments:

linda m said...

Thank you Far Guy for your service to this Country. As a former wife of a Navy man I appreciate what you did for your country and the sacrifices Connie made.

lisa said...

My step dad served in Vietnam, he has a very hard time talking about it. So, you realize that war and even friendly serving in the forces is never an easy thing to do.. I love the pictures, those are some nice ones. Thank you to Far guy!

Mac n' Janet said...

Our thanks too. My husband is a 21 year veteran of the Army.

Terry and Linda said...

Thank you, Far Guy! It's people like you who make our world a much better place!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

Anonymous said...

Thank you both to Far Guy and to his wife and family for their sacrifices for the rest of us who went on with our usual lives while you both and family gave up so much.

Shirley H.

Tired Teacher said...

Thank you, Far Guy and Far Side and all your counterparts. I appreciate all you have done and continue to do day after day.

Country Gal said...

Thank you to all the hero's then and now . oh I like the CF 18s . Great photos and post . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Intense Guy said...

I salute your family's veterans and am thankful for their service. Looks like Far Guy was a Fly Guy!

Patsy said...

Memory's, I would not want to for get our time in the Navy.
Many World War II guys live here, The Bennie has coffee with them Mondays and Friday's.

Red said...

You have a right to complain. Families were very much a part of military service.

Sam I Am...... said...

I think when he serves...you also serve. Thank you to both of you!

Anonymous said...

You know, that's an awesome selfie! And thank your, Far Guy, for your service.

Linda W. said...

A salute and big thank you to your veteran husband!

Jacqi Stevens said...

Oh, I hope you find that original photo sometime soon! Great set of photos here, though.

Yes, the families sacrificed in their own way, too. A thank you goes to all the veterans today, but let's add a thank you to the families whose hearts went with them, every time they headed out the door.

Meggie said...

A big "Thank You" to Far Guy and his service. Love your new header....

thecrazysheeplady said...

Yes, thank you!!! And thank you to all the families left at home. I can't imagine.