Sunday, November 15, 2015

Signs of late Fall

There are many things that signal Fall is nearing an end here in Minnesota.  Yes, sometimes Winter comes way earlier than the Winter Solstice on December 22nd  at 4:48 AM. (38 days away…but who is counting)

For now I am just happy to notice the Wild Rose Hips.

Wild Rose hips

Chance likes to eat them. 

Milkweed escaping

The Milkweed Pods have burst open.   The seeds will be carried in the wind, I hope they germinate next spring so we get more Monarch Butterflies next summer.

I got out my snow boots, they are warmer than crocs with socks.   I ordered myself an new down parka,  I hope it is warm and has long enough sleeves so every time I lift my arm up my forearm isn’t exposed.   Now I need a pair of black or grey mittens.

The cupboards are full along with the deep freeze…if we didn’t like fresh milk or fresh fruits and vegetables we could hunker down for weeks…possibly even a couple of months.

Both vehicles have winter survival “stuff” but I need to change out the hand warmers. Both vehicles were  taken through the Deluxe Carwash this week so that made me happy!

This is the real cold and humid part of the year, until the lake freezes over and the snow covers the ground it is cold and the wind can be just raw. 

Deer Hunting is coming to an end.  My Dad and my other baby brother each got their deer yesterday morning.  One doe and one buck fawn.   So it was a good hunt.

One more thing...Kleenex…I have to make sure I have some in my pocket when I leave the house…my old lady nose likes to run as soon as it hits the cooler air.

Blog Signature

18 comments:

Meggie said...

I do believe you are prepared....I'm the same way. My daughters laugh at my food stock. But, it's something I learned from my mother. I like to be prepared. Then, I can put "worried" on a shelf and enjoy my life.

Cynthia said...

I do think you are ready for winter! About those bare wrists -- knit (or have someone knit) mittens with extra long cuffs. I've made many pairs and everyone loves them. Once you wear them you wonder why all mittens aren't made that way.

Lady Jane said...

I haven't knitted mittens in so long... But I love the idea Cynthia has about long cuff ones. I may have to get out the ole knitting needles, lol... You are so prepared girl... I need to get my act together....

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cynthia about long cuffs on mittens. So cozy! It is the stocking the cupboards and hunkering down time isn't it? I hope we get more monarchs, too. I saw thrm this summer - even in my yard, but I know the numbers have been down.

The Furry Gnome said...

Same sort of thing here. Yesterday i got the final outdoor things packed away, so we're ready. AND we can fit both cars in the garage!

Anonymous said...

Brrr - I hate it too when it's damp - feels a lot colder than it does when the snow comes along... Keep warm.

Patsy said...

Oh my! I guess our fall is at a end and you will have snow soon. The Bennie said his poor baby (car) will now set
out side all winter and he is sure we will miss not having a garage.

Red said...

When we get to this date we know we are living on the edge as far as the coming of winter is concerned. I like the list of things you've done to prepare for winter.

DJan said...

My nose runs, too, in the cold, or when I exercise even when it's not cold. Glad you're ready for the winter. You must have long arms; I have the opposite problem, finding sleeves that don't swallow my hands. :-)

troutbirder said...

Yes its coming & I finally broke loose from my don't do this or that shoulder rehab rules & got some fall yard work done yesterday without damage..... You betcha.....:)

Linda W. said...

Sounds like you are all ready for winter! Me too, bring it on!

Tired Teacher said...

Yes, it's time to put the Winter kit in the trunk and find my parka and scarves.

Linda Reeder said...

Without the harshness of winter here, most of us don't make such preparations. We haul out the layers of fleece and rain gear and dress according to whatever is happening on any given day. November is one of our darkest, rainiest months, so we look forward to any cold, clear days we might get. When winter does officially arrive, it won't look much different than fall.
I'm glad you are ready for your winter.

Terry and Linda said...

Snow is heading in again here. It's starting to look like we might be harvesting corn in snow this year. Boy, I sure hope not, makes for a huge messy job!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer
┊  ★


Coloring Outside the Lines said...

It sounds like you are super prepared! Deer season just starting here...no one has gotten one yet. It's predicted to be a harsh winter here, so it is time to drag out the winter gear.

Jacqi Stevens said...

Solstice: who's counting? I am! Can't wait until we get 38 days to the other side of it!

Granny Marigold said...

My old lady nose and even my eyes run in the cold necessitating taking off gloves or mittens, doing the mop-up, and putting mitts back on. Every half a mile or so.

Sam I Am...... said...

If anyone is prepared it's you! I heard you can freeze milk....does anyone know for sure? I can't use it up before it goes bad so I'd like to know then all you would need are fresh veggies...really? Frozen actually have more vitamins because they are flash frozen "at the peak of freshness". LOL!
I've been stocking up a bit when I go to Walmart; dogfood, canned goods, etc. in case we get bad weather or an ice storm...God forbid! Now they're talking flash floods....I think they sensationalize the weather like they do the news. Oh well, I don't have a boat so I guess I'll just take my chances with the girls. I think it should all run into the lake and from there into the spillway so nothing to worry about here.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with "nasal drip"!