Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Wistful Wednesday: Cake Week

There are three of us with September birthdays. Years ago there were just two of us…then along came Adam to join us.  His birthday is at the beginning of the month and I have not blogged about him because I wanted a new photo!

This is what we used to call “Cake Week” and it seems to be coming up faster every year.

Here is a cake and a child almost 33 years ago.  It is not her birthday quite yet a few more days…not mine yet either.

Jennifer and Connie 1982

Jennifer and I in 1982 when she was 7 and I was 31…goodness was I ever that young?  It looks like a cake with clowns and balloons and seven candles.  Isn’t Jen cute?  Her haircut  suits her…we were lucky enough to find one fellow in all of Moorhead Minnesota who could give her a decent haircut and he cut her hair for years.  I cannot remember his name but I can see him plain as day…silvery hair and quite handsome and he owned his own hair salon. (Dwayne’s House of Beauty maybe?)

Jennifer would have been in First Grade at George Washington School, I should remember her teachers name…but it has escaped me….no face to go with a name either. ( All that info is in Jennifer’s School Days Scrapbook at  her house.  See if you make a scrapbook it is okay to forget a few things. )  I cheated and looked it up in her baby book…I still have that.

Mrs. Fridgen was her teacher and I wrote:  Jenny is very interested in Math.**  She can tell time, count money, write numbers to 200.  She can read quite well but doesn’t like to read.  She can spell some words~ she spells them like they sound.  Mrs. Fridgen said “Jenny really enjoys life.”   Jenny likes school but it is hard for her to get up in the morning.  Jenny took an after school dramatics class and enjoys art, coloring and drawing.Jennifer and  her Grandmothers  1982

Jennifer and her Grandmothers.  My Mom(age 53) on the left and Far Guy’s Mom ( age 68) on the right.  Jen must have wanted to see the photo and her Grandfather H.  obliged…he loved that Polaroid Camera. (Those bigger than a boat spectacles must have been in fashion!)

The photo was taken at Far Guy’s Parents home in Park Rapids.  They are standing in the dining room, through the doorway I see the strawberry wallpaper in the kitchen and yellow curtains above the sink.

**Jennifer hates Math and loves to read! She has changed a little in 33 years!

 

Blog Signature

18 comments:

DJan said...

I love these old pictures. I was just thinking about some old Kodachrome slides that I have, wondering how in the world they can be changed into digital pictures. They are decades old and beginning to fade. And as you always remind me, it's fun to look at the way we were! :-)

lisa said...

You have such wonderful photos to share. Makes me want to get out all my photo albums and reminisce.

Tired Teacher said...

Happy Birthday, Jennifer.

I loved the term, "Cake Week."

Gail said...

Wonderful memories and making more!

Mac n' Janet said...

it passes too, too quickly. I'm going to make our daughter a scrapbook of memories for Christmas before i forget everything. Our baby is 47, doesn't seem possible.

Linda W. said...

Cake week - I like the sound of that! :) Happy Birthday to all!

Red said...

That's cool to get your picture taken with your two Grannies. I'm sure my grannies never ever met.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Happy Birthday to everyone. I could use some cake right now. Nice photos. Hug B

Anonymous said...

Her haircut really does suit her face, doesn't it? Very cute! Have a great cake week.

Henny Penny said...

Yes, she is very cute! I love the pictures. We have a lot of September birthdays too. I remember those big glasses. Bigger glasses seem to be coming back in.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

My daughter, who is just a bit older than yours, had a haircut much like your cute daughter's. I love seeing the older photos and the styles of those days. Enjoy your cake week! And happy birthday to all!

Anonymous said...

Cake week sounds delicious!

Jacqi Stevens said...

What? With all those birthdays, only a cake week? Around here, we proclaim that "Birthday Month."

Jennifer said...

Hi name was Russ, and yes he had that bowl cut down to a science.

Mrs. Fridgen was just being nice. Jenny G was going to sleep over and Mrs. F said when were were done with math we could leave for the day, so I rushed through my math worksheet and placed a random number for the answers. She caught on and I had to stay after to finish it the right way....math, yuck.

Linda Kay said...

Our daughter will be 45 in a week or so. How do children get so much older when we are still so young?

L. D. said...

Cake is at the top of the food pyramid. At least it is on my pyramid. That is a lot of birthdays in one month. We have them in different months but the newest daughter in law is smack dab in the middle of July which isn't close to anybody from March to December.

Rita said...

Great photos! Isn't it amazing how fast the years went!! Happy birthday to you all! :)

Sam I Am...... said...

What a cutie! Both of you actually! I had a pair of those big glasses too with a dark frame and if I didn't look like a hoot owl! LOL! You were such a good Mom. My last child, poor Jim, his baby book was empty but in my defense, I was working full time and going to school full time and his father was not working....I rest my case.
Happy Birthday to all of you in case I miss it when it actually comes up. I love your family pictures!