Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Wistful Wednesday: August Birthday

Far Guy’s Dad was born in August.  August 13 to be exact.  He also died in August just 15 days after his birthday.  He was eighty years old when he died.   The funeral was the last day of August in 1994.  He would have been 101 years old this year.  The summer of 1994 was not an easy summer…two weddings and a funeral that summer.  One of those summers that you never want to do over again. 

Lets go back to August 13 1991 when Far Guy’s Dad was 77 years old.

August 13 1991 Marvin was 77

Far Guy with his parents August 13, 1991.   I took the photograph.  The occasion was a birthday dinner out at The Y. That was his Dads thing to do.  Go out for supper to celebrate…no one had to cook or clean up and if he could order fried potatoes he would!

We have a place called “The Y” on the edge of Park Rapids, they serve great steaks.  The Y is still in business…Tim died last June, I never knew his real name was Archie…he was kinda retired and now his wife and son are in charge.  Tim’s Dad served up steaks before Tim…so it has been a multi generational business.  They will close up for the winter sometime in October…I am certain it has not been an easy year for their family.  We haven’t been there since May for a steak…usually we both order Timothy’s Special… a sirloin…Far Guy gets mushrooms and I don’t.  We probably ordered the same thing back in 1991.   I am certain I did because once I find something I like…I am a repeat customer.

Far Guys parents look real good in this photo and Far Guy has some a little hair.

Blog Signature

14 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

I love your old pictures - people and places - and the stories you tell with them.

linda m said...

Nice picture of Far Guy with his parents. I did notice he had some hair in this picture. Hey, my hubby had some hair back then also - not much, but he did have a few more strands.

DJan said...

They do look good. Dad was quite trim, I notice. These days you get used to seeing older people with large waistlines. It amazes me to realize how long ago 1991 was! Where does the time go?? :-)

Linda Kay said...

Great picture and story of the "Y". Those of us who grew up country always had special places to go to eat the "special" of the day.

Marty said...

For a minute there, I thought you were having dinner at the YMCA!
Hard to beat those local restaurants that become so comfortable over time.

Tired Teacher said...

My mother shared Far Guy's dad's birthday. She, too, died in her birthday month.

Not many generational businesses around anymore. You'd better go buy that steak before October.

MTWaggin said...

Aww they look wonderful! I'm kinda like you when I find a place I like I frequent it, especially if it is a local joint!

Cynthia said...

The restaurant business is a tough one and it seems that usually the young ones don't want to take it over and work that hard. The Y must have great food to be in business for generations.

Intense Guy said...

Seems like you are overdue for a trip to the Y!

Red said...

Far Guy looks great too. Funny how big a change 26 years makes.

Granny Marigold said...

Your father-in-law was 80 when he died... apparently that is the "life expectancy" now, at least for men.

I enjoy all your old photos.

Linda Reeder said...

Interesting coincidence- my father's birthday was August 15th. He also died in 1994, at the age of 76. That was part of a season of four funerals and a wedding. My father and my uncle both died of cancer, my sister-in-law died of breast cancer at age 38, and our friends young daughter was murdered. The wedding was my daughter's first marriage. The marriage lasted three months. Those were not good time for us either.

Jacqi Stevens said...

Birthday dinners out always were a treat around our house. Only now, it's not just a birthDAY celebration...sometimes it stretches out into more of a birthday MONTH!

Sam I Am...... said...

Great picture and good looking family. Is Far Guys mother still alive? We used to have a place called 'the Y" too but it wasn't a steak house more like a drive in and it was where Illinois route 84 joined Route 20 (Ulysses Grant Highway). Not sure what's there now. They used to have a huge giant statue of a palm tree that would flash lights. Fried potatoes...yum! 1994 was not a good year for me either.