Thursday, December 4, 2014

Ornament Winners

Well we have some winners!! The random number generator picked #7 and #18!!

Now as to what they won!

IMG_8656 

Ornaments in progress.  The popsicle sticks are meant to be a staminode. You know the little part that hides the anthers and stigma (reproductive parts).

It was a slow process.  I designed this ornament. There was some trial and error in R&D. Yes it is a Lady Slipper Ornament.

before color

Before color

There are five parts to the flower; dorsal sepal (the one in back), two petals, the popsicle stick staminode and the labellum or lip.

We were not sure how we would hang just the flower so one leaf was added.

IMG_0672

Here is a pan of the little buggers tiny beauties.

I carve and paint.  Far Guy carves and assembles because as the flower parts go together they are glued and pinned.  He glued his fingers together a few times. Then his final step is to pin and glue the flower to the leaf and drill two tiny holes.

I did the touch up, the sealer and added the string.

ornaments drying

It was a joint effort.  As far as we can figure from start to finish we have about 7 to 8 hours per ornament. We made 80 of them.

Lady Slipper

Lady Slippers with rulers

This will give you some idea of their size.  They are about 2 1/2 inches long and 3 inches wide.

I have a few for sale if anyone is interested.  They are listed on my left sidebar near the top…Far Side’s Attic and Woodshed Carving For Sale …click on that link and you will see the Lady Slipper Ornament and other woodcarvings for sale.

Now for the winners….congratulations to….drum roll…

linda M and Alvina M!!   linda I need your address, please email me captainconnie2001at yahoodotcom.  I have Alvina’s email. I will mail them off as soon as possible.

Nearly everyone guessed a flower…and most of you guessed a Lady Slipper…my readers know me well!

Blog Signature

25 comments:

Lynda said...

I commented on the "For Sale" site for an ornament. Thank you for holding the drawing each year but also for having some extras so we can purchase! They are all so beautiful and unique.

Intense Guy said...

Congrats to the winners!! You got a beautiful hand made flower!! So unexpected, I couldn't see how a Ladyslipper would be made from the parts!!

linda m said...

Connie, I am so excited to have won. The ornaments are so beautiful and I will treasure it forever. Will email you my address right away. Thank you for such a lovely gift.

Linda Kay said...

Connie, really nice job on these, and so creative. Congratulations to the winners.

Marty said...

Wouldn't a table-top tree covered in those look lovely?
I can't imagine the hours you've put in!

Primitive Stars said...

Congrats to the winners, so pretty.Blessings Francine.

Nancy said...

Thye R&D team did a great job designing and carving this ornament. It's pretty.

DJan said...

Yes, I am not surprised that they are lady slippers. You even have one as your avatar! Congratulations to the winners. :-)

Henny Penny said...

I think you picked one of the hardest flowers to make, and you made it looks so real. These are just beautiful!

Leah said...

They are absolutely stunning! - I have always said nobody has any idea how much time you spent on them! (how true is that) - a keepsake for sure!

Linda W. said...

Wow, very creative ornaments!

Karen said...

I too couldn't imagine how those parts were going to make a lady slipper. Lovely, and wow, that is a long time on one ornament! Congrats to the winners!

Phyllis Pritchard said...

They are beautiful!! Congratulations to the winners.

Travels with Emma said...

They are beautiful! I can't imagine how you ever thought them up.

Red said...

Nuts! I didn't win! So congratulations to the winners. These are great pieces.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Argh, I always miss something cool when I don't have time to keep up! These are beautiful!

Tante Mali said...

oh, toooo late.
Congratulations to the winners and congratulations to you. They look fabulous!
All my best from Austria
Elisabeth

Jacqi Stevens said...

Well, you sure stumped me. I thought the whole popsicle stick was somehow supposed to be part of the picture...and two leaves per ornament was the assumption that threw me off. I couldn't figure out how the remaining few pieces could be put together to make anything--much less a flower. Beautiful! And congratulations to the winners! And yes, knowing you, why not a Lady Slipper?!

Joan said...

The ornaments are beautiful. Sneaky... I thought you were using the whole popsicle stick. Congrats to the winners.

Linda Reeder said...

The ornaments are exquisite!

Rita said...

Congrats to the lucky winners! These are really pretty and unique! You guys did a fantastic job on them. :)

Terry and Linda said...

You are amazingly talented, Connie!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

marlu said...

They are beautiful. I'm still enjoying my Santa from last year from the seed pod! Think of you when I see him near my calendar!

L. D. said...

They really do turn out to look great. I hope that wood is soft as that looks like a lot of carving for each single item.

Rose said...

80 of them! They are beautiful! Your family is very lucky/blessed to get them