Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Thanks Veterans!

If you are a Veteran…Thank You for your service.

In my family we have four Veterans.

Family_Veterans_Day

My baby brother and his son were/are both in the Navy.  My Dad was in the Army and served in Korea.  My husband was in the Air Force and North Dakota Air National Guard for 26 years.

Veterans Day 2009

A few years ago the traveling Vietnam Wall was in a nearby town.  It was an awesome experience.  Since my husband served during the Vietnam era we know how hard it was to be a soldier and a soldiers family during that time.

Here is a link to the wall where you can search for soldiers who gave their lives in Vietnam.  In some cases there are comments…by old girlfriends, sisters, brothers and fellow soldiers.  On Vincent Shepersky’s page I read a note from an old friend of mine who has since died by his own hand after serving in Vietnam.

There were three soldiers from the Park Rapids Minnesota area on the wall a few years ago.

Donald Green  died May 31, 1966.

Vincent Lloyd Shepersky died August 14, 1969.

Gary Lee Rehn died November 9, 1967.

Since then James Wesley Ashley’s name has been added.

James Wesley Ashley died June 1, 1967

Gary Lee Rehn’s body was never recovered.  You can still get POW/Mia bracelets.

Take some time to thank a soldier or to read about one on the Vietnam Wall this Veteran’s Day.

IMG_1116

Blog Signature

19 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

It is a message that is echoing around the world today. Thank you, one and all.

linda m said...

I had the pleasure of visiting the Vietnam Wall in Washington DC. It is really a very moving experience. There are many Veterans in my family, both deceased and alive. Thank You to all of them and all Veterans.

DJan said...

I can always count on you to have an extremely moving post today, and I am never disappointed. Thank you to all the people who have served their country, both living and dead. Blessings to their parents, too.

Cynthia said...

Every time I take the train into Minneapolis I see the crosses in the cemetery at Ft Snelling, crosses as far as the eye can see, and I give a silent thanks to veterans, the war dead, and their families. And I pray for peace in the world.

Dreaming said...

I have experienced the awe of both the traveling wall and the permanent installation in DC. It affected me more than I had ever anticipated.
Thank you, Veterans for all you have done for our country.

Linda Kay said...

There is something very awesome about the Vietnam War Memorial Wall. For those of us who lived through that period in our history, it brings back many sad memories of division and sadness. Thanks to all who served.

Mac n' Janet said...

We were able to see the wall when visiting in DC, also saw the World War II Memorial. Very moving.

Sam I Am...... said...

Yes, thank you to them all; living and gone. I cannot imagine how terrifying it must have been and painful both physically and mentally for so many. My parents both served in WWII, my ex in Vietnam and my son in the Navy. After all that suffering by so many you'd think we could find a gentler and kinder way to solve our differences but alas it seems to be getting crueler not kinder. Bless them all.

Nancy said...

Tonight is the local Quilt of Valor presentation ceremony where 80 veterans will be given a quilt. I wish the weather was nicer, so more people would be inclined to attend and thank the vets for their service.

Gail said...

Thank you and thanks to all who have served.

A wonderful tribute. I thank every veteran I meet and sometimes even cry when I shake their hands.

Patsy said...

Great tribute!

LindaG said...

A special thank you to all Vietnam veterans.

Red said...

It hits home when individuals are mentioned.

Intense Guy said...

I honor your family's veterans. Many, many thanks for their service.

L. D. said...

I am also glad to see your Memorial Day post. The one young friend Norman Bettis in our neighborhood died in Vietnam. My Sunday school kids now all visit over there to see great uncles and aunts. Grandma pays their way. I have facebook ties now with the most of Normans brothers and sisters who I also went to school with them.

Ryker said...

Wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

Thank you ,Far side !!! Mappy

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your Veteran's Day photos, Connie. My heartfelt thanks to all who have served.
You guys stay warm this week!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Amen.