Friday, November 7, 2014

Minnesota Bluff Country

We headed out on our adventure…first you have to get out of Minnesota.  We chose a different travel path.  OH I hate the traffic through Minneapolis/St. Paul.  At one time my Map Reader and the Garmin were at odds and I have no idea where we were except there were lots of lanes of traffic and I was on some road that I should never have encountered.  All was well…we only went an hour out of our way.

We have both been as far south and east in Minnesota as Red Wing…neither of us had been further south than that along the Mississippi River.   Minnesota Bluff country!  We were a little late for the leaves…but they must have been beautiful!

We have some friends who are thinking of moving to Lake City and I can see why…such a pretty area but real touristy in the summer.

Fall leaves near Wabasha

We knew that we were early to see the Bald Eagles on the river, but we stopped anyway.

View of Lake Pepin

There are three turn outs where you can view the river/lake.  A young gentleman came along, he lives just down the road and had his binoculars along.  There were some diving ducks down on the water.  He encouraged us to come back in February and to visit the Eagle Center….and so I will put that on my bucket list.

Chance at Lake Pepin

Chance at Lake Pepin

Although he was on leash he got into some burrs…it took me a long time to get them picked out of his fur.

Marker at Lake Pepin

The area of the Mississippi River between Red Wing and Wabasha (Wa BA shaw) is a wide area of the river and it is called Lake Pepin.

We passed right near Wabasha (of Grumpy Old men fame) and headed to Kellogg Minnesota.

Blog Signature

14 comments:

DJan said...

Nice! Chance has such beautiful fur, I can imagine how tough it was to get him cleaned up. Looking forward to this adventure! :-)

Unknown said...

I too noticed how beautiful Chance's fur is right now - nice and thick for winter too. I suppose he will have to have it trimmed one of these days but it is so lovely. We live in downtown MPLS and yes, we too think the traffic is bad but you get used to it.






Shirley H.

Linda Kay said...

I have not visited that part of Minnesota, but have traveled there to some degree. My husband has family in Hutchison, and we have friends in Chaska.

Shirley said...

Pretty country, I can see why it would draw tourists in summer.

Red said...

I guess you have lots of good stuff to see right near home.

L. D. said...

I have never heard of Lake Pepin. I am sure the water was pretty high on the river from all our rains of the past. I do know the leaves left early this fall. It sounds like a great trip. Minneapolis is always a pain and I have found Chicago to be of equal difficulty. There use to always be construction in Minneapolis and they would detour you off the freeway and into nowhere.

troutbirder said...

Congratulations Connie on being related to a new mayor. I'm sure she'll do great. I hope you continue on down the river. There should have been lots of eagles and the tundra swans and pelicans would be arriving in their thousands already and over the next week or so. Wish I'd known you were coming this way.....!

Cynthia said...

I love that part of Minnesota. I think I know all the routes to avoid Mpls/St Paul!

Country Gal said...

Looks and sounds like you all had a nice trip ! Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

Anonymous said...

Such pretty scenery!

Dreaming said...

Oh, my….
The touring company from our recent trip has an itinerary that begins in Bemidji and ends in New Orleans, following the mighty Mississippi all the way. I'm thinking I need to put that on my bucket list!

Sam I Am...... said...

Beautiful pics and beautiful country...it reminds me of where I grew up along the Mississippi in Illinois....same bluffs and although we didn't have a lake we had back waters which were great for fishing and nature. Those glaciers did a mighty fine job!

Terry and Linda said...

Oh, that was fun! I hope there is more!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Jacqi Stevens said...

Oh, poor Chance. Burrs! And right after his visit to the groomer. He's still looking good!