Monday, October 6, 2014

Leaves and apples

My niece has apple trees in North Dakota so she graciously sent back apples for us.  I made an apple crisp at the retreat…it was wonderful!   Fall seems to be the best time for apple desserts.  I still have a few more of those apples…so I may make another apple crisp or maybe a pie.  

Crabapples at the house with the blue shutters.

Crab apple tree

The tree was loaded with crabapples.  Years ago I would have been tempted to cook some up and hang the cooked apples in a bag and let the juice drip…perfect for some jelly.  We rarely use jelly, I like it on pancakes or French toast…so one jar of jelly lasts us a long time. 

The Maples were beautiful this year.

Beautiful leaves at the white house with the blue shutters

Maple leaves

With the help of my other baby brother and my nephew we got the gate up on the other driveway.  The mobile home that my niece and her husband used to live in was sold after she moved to North Dakota.  It was moved out last week.  They had to cut down a couple of trees, we will get them cut up and the brush hauled away this week.  It seems lonely over that way…they were neighbors for about nine years. Even Chance misses them, all those little kids were happy to throw his ball.  One time he even kidnapped a child…Jordan I think…the dog walked home and brought along a child. Luckily the dog and the child were safe and together.

Blog Signature

15 comments:

linda m said...

Beautiful pictures. Fall does seem to be the time for apple pies and apple crisp. I love them both.

DJan said...

Those leaves are lovely. I don't eat much jelly or jam at all, but I sure would love to taste some of yours some day. Good story about Chance the kidnapper. :-)

MTWaggin said...

Love LOVE apple crisp! Yum and I'm with you on the jelly, it lasts me forever. Your fall colors look gorgeous!

Intense Guy said...

I love those bright blue shutters!!!

Nancy said...

The maples and Blue shutters complement each other very well.

Cynthia said...

I have a big pot of applesauce cooking in the stove right now, from my apple trees. Smells like fall! Had to laugh at Chance kidnapping the kid! And I agree with him -- it really isn't his fault he is irresistible!

troutbirder said...

Home grown apples are so much better than the fake ones from far away (N. Dakota doesn't count as far away) I have a Harolson and a Mac. Lots of apple crisp, sauce and butter made, eaten and frozen or canned. No jelly though for the same reason....:).

Terry and Linda said...

I laughed about Chance bringing home a kid..."Can I keep Him?" I'm sure Chance asked!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

L. D. said...

Too many apples with too little time for us. We did the apple cobbler last time and now I am hoping a pie is around the corner. I planted trees to have apples but they never did well for years. Now with a guy having bees across town and me spraying every couple of years it has helped. My mom use to make jelly from the small apples.

Kay said...

I love to see all of the photos of the leaves changing color. We don't get much of that here in SoCal.

Country Gal said...

Lovely photos ! I love apple crisp my fave is apple cinnamon caramel crisp YUMMY ! I bet Chance had a wonderful time with all those kids I know our Miggs would ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Sam I Am...... said...

I love that house with the blue shutters. Our leaves are still green...a few red here and there and some yellow but i will be patient....yeah right! LOL! I too only go through a couple jars a year probably but it makes great gifts except most of mine are mailed so glass would have to be bubble wrapped really well.
thank you for the pictures of what Fall looks like.

Henny Penny said...

These pictures are really pretty. That tree is hanging in crab apples!

Red said...

Hardier varieties of fruit are being developed.We can grow some reasonably good apples here.

Anonymous said...

What pretty autumn colours!