Monday, August 25, 2014

Corn

The Sweet Corn was ready, my cousin Todd called and tried to tell me I ordered fifty dozen… I knew he was pulling my leg.  He delivered six dozen freshly picked ears.

It took about five hours to husk, wash, cook, dispatch the kernels from the cob and mix up the mixture in which they will be frozen…they are bagged in two cups serving size freezer bags…about four of those bags will find their way into another freezer bag and then they will be stacked in the right side of the freezer all ready for winter.  We got 37 bags out of 77 cobs.

We might get another four dozen so we have plenty to share with the girls.

Right now we are tired…the kitchen was cleaned thoroughly except for the floor…if we are going to get more corn then there is no sense in doing the floor.

My new stainless steel stock pot hold lots of ears…22 to be exact but it takes forever to boil. All corn is boiled ten minutes…that is the way we like it.  Then it is plunged into ice water…Far Guy cuts it off the cob anchoring the cob to a piece of wood with a nail sticking up to hold the cob in place. High Tech!

I taste tested the sweet corn on Saturday night.  I put one ear of corn complete with husk into the microwave for three minutes and then sliced part of the cob away…and pulled the tassel and husk away from the corn…but boy was that ear hot…I had to let it cool a long time before I could eat it.  For one or two servings doing a couple of cobs in the microwave is perfect.

Corn

Field corn not to be confused with sweet corn.

Blog Signature

22 comments:

Cynthia said...

Hot,sticky work, but it taste so wonderful in the winter. You cannot buy anything close in the freezer department of the grocery store!

linda m said...

We have had sweet corn here for a couple of weeks now. I do the same thing - freeze plenty for winter. This years crop has seen the sweetest and largest ears in years. Mmmmmmm

The Furry Gnome said...

Enjoying corn season here too now.

DJan said...

I like the high tech way to get the corn off the cob! And I cannot help but think that all that corn is yellow, your favorite color, so why would you want to clean the floor anyway? :-)

MTWaggin said...

YUM! Our sweet corn is way late this year so I'm hoping to find some at the farmers market this coming weekend. Love the stuff!

Nancy said...

You might try using an angel food cake pan to slice the corn off of the cob. Insert the cob into the hole on the top of the pan and slice the corn from the cob. The sliced corn falls into the angel food cake pan with very little mess.

Patsy said...

Thanks for the tip about putting it in the microwave --I would never have tried that -but will now.

Country Gal said...

Oh how wonderful ! We are getting fresh corn on the cob this week from a friends farm YUMMY ! Great tip on putting it in the microwave ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Karen said...

Oh glad to hear that someone tried the microwave method! I love it, will never cook corn any other way again. I do it a bit longer than you did, I do two cobs for 8 minutes, and if I did 4, I'd do them for 15 minutes. I cut the bottom off and shake it out of the husks right away, and don't find that it stays hot for too long. Love the no mess, no fuss convenience of that method.
Congrats on getting the corn into the freezer. I have also heard about using the angel food or bundt cake pan for slicing off the kernels. Haven't tried it, but it sounds good!

Linda Kay said...

Love that sweet corn. My mother in law used to place the kernels in a cake pan, pour some sweet cream over it, add a small amount of sugar, then bake it in the oven for a short bit. Then she bagged it into the freezer. I can't tell you how delicious that corn tasted when thawed and heated. Yum!

L. D. said...

I micro mine with saran wrap on them. Three to four minutes works great and my 80 year mom taught me how to do it many years ago. She did not do it that way when I was a kid, bowling water in the bottom half of a pressure cooker pan. We did freeze corn the same way as a kid, feeding a family of six took a lot of corn in the International Harvester freezer.

Sam I Am...... said...

You go girl and Far Guy! Now I know where to go if I run out which I'm sure I will but the year of the ice storm I lost everything in my freezer so I'm a little hesitant. Once I move North it won't be problem as I can just throw it all in a snow bank if I lose electricity..lol!
Note to L. D. you really should just use a dampened paper towel as cooking in plastic with the chemicals is not supposed to be good for you but then you're still here so what do I know? And IH made freezers? Il earn so much from your blog!

LindaG said...

Lots of field corn around here. All that corn sounds nice, but I'm not surprised you were tired.
Never tried microwaving corn. Might try it for a little less time. Could definitely beat boiling!

Jacqi Stevens said...

Wow. Freshly picked. You are spoiled! Hope you ended up with some freshly eaten ;)

Red said...

I never thought of freezing corn! It sounds like a good idea even if it is a lot of work.

Muffy's Marks said...

That first meal of fresh 'cob on the corn' ( to quote one of my grands) is the best. I have just a dozen ears put in the freezer. I'll save it for Thanksgiving --the grands love it!!!

Linda Reeder said...

I have helped my mother do the corn freezing a long time ago. It is a big job. We just blanched it though, never cooked it nearly as much as 10 minutes.

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of work - but sweet corn on the cob is just delicious!

Leah said...

That is a good job done! We will be doing some too - our freezer is empty of what we did a couple of years ago - so it is time :)

Rita said...

I remember helping my mom blanche and freeze corn from the cobs! What a job! But nothing tasted as good as that corn come winter. I can see why you'd like to do up some more. :)

Anonymous said...

I have not tried corn in the microwave yet but I hear that it is good. You are smart to have all that corn in the freezer for this winter.

Terry and Linda said...

I just finished the last of ours. Tired of the stuff. But come winter I won't be.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com