Monday, December 30, 2013

It is a tad chilly

It was –29 F or –33 C at 9 PM last night.  Just thought I would share.

December 29th

And that is the thermometer that runs on the warm side.   It sits on the window ledge in the kitchen and receives a transmission from a device in a tree outside. Brrrr…

We had the downstairs Christmas tree de decorated in no time flat.  Why is it that it takes more time going up than down?  The room seems larger now.

The Shiny Brite tree is still upstairs, I am not ready to take that one down yet.  I enjoy it too much!

We started organizing military “stuff” for the scrapbook.  Some of the old stuff was rescued from one of those terribly sticky old photo albums.  Whoever invented them should have been shot.  With patience and a gentle hand and sometimes the hair dryer most everything was saved.  Everything is now on my desk….so we have to work on it!

We decided to sign Chance up for a Intro to Fly ball Class…just to see how he might do.  It would be a great winter activity for him and us too.  He is a little bored in the cold weather…a few squirrels kept him busy for a short time yesterday.

IMG_5804

We have one black squirrel, he lives south of here across the road…and comes for a snack ( bird seed on the ground).  Since I greased the bird feeder poles with Crisco they stay out of the feeders.  I might have to re-grease them on a warmer day but for now they are just fine.  Yes I have laughed evilly as the buggers slide down the poles!

We had a blast last night watching Destination America and a search for Log Homes, they featured a home near Park Rapids and another up on Boot Lake…it is fun to see some of the places back in the boonies.  The lady looking at the log home on Boot Lake said “Well this is practically nowhere.”  Yup we live near practically nowhere.

Blog Signature

25 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Morning, same temps here, brrrr!!!! Love the Black Squirrel and wish I would have seen that on T.V., sounds good.....Blessings Francine.

Henny Penny said...

That's cold! The black squirrel is pretty. My husband say he is going squirrel hunting now that deer season is ending! He won't have to go far!

DJan said...

That is colder than I've ever experienced. I'll watch from here. I would have loved to watch the squirrels slipping down the greased pole! :-)

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Wow- that's just too cold to even think about going outside! I'm laughing at the idea of a greased bird pole- what a great idea!
Hope the temps warm up a bit for you this week!

Travels with Emma said...

I keep a Detroit Lakes weather bug on my desktop, and I've been amazed at the low temperatures. I sure hope it warms up by May when I return. :)

Leah said...

Yep it is a tad chilly! Boy hoping this cold streak ends soon!

Jan said...

I have a great solution to help with those sticky pictures etc. It's by Un-Do or Un-Du. It's called Scrapbook Solutions. I get it at W-M...I have used it for years for getting photos off those old horrible albums, also good for labels, getting stamps off..etc. The only thing I don't like it for is getting labels off glass jars.
Wind Chill here is -20.

linda m said...

That is just downright cold. I'll have to try the greased pole idea for the squirrels. Keep warm and stay safe.

Beth said...

It is very cold here this morning too but nothing like what you have.
The greased pole is a very good idea!

Anonymous said...

Brrr - looks cold and snowy! Wish we had some of that snow.

Intense Guy said...

I don't think I would use the word "chilly" or "tad". LMAO!!

Karen said...

With those sort of temperatures, I'm surprised the Crisco isn't hard enough for the squirrels to climb up! You do need to video those squirrels sliding down the poles though. You can be the next Youtube sensation, or maybe you can win some money on Americas Funniest Videos:)
Looking forward to hearing about Chance's flyball lessons. We offer them at our club, but a tad far for you to drive!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

That is a tad chilly! It wasn't quite that bad here. I would have laughed at the squirrel sliding down the pole too! I've heard that works. Stay warm!

kathy b said...

Hahahah. Chance will LOVE flyable..IM' sure of it. WE did agility with our beloved Huck for a few years…who had more fun? not sure!!
happy winter rise and shine I love the early morning time
(from a children's book)

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I keep thinking that we walked to school in that kind of weather...everyone took for granted that if you put enough layers on (including the wool scarf wrapped around your face) you could go out and do stuff. Now I am not quite that brave. Do stay warm!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Just stopping by to wish you and yours a fantastic year ahead.

Great idea to grease your bird feeder poles!!!!! Love it.

Happy New Year.
Hugs,
Betsy

Red said...

I can tell you for surer that that's cold. Stay warm.

Anonymous said...

Houses can tend to feel a bit larger, colder and naked(er) when the decorations are put away... Stay warm... brrrr, you are totally having some frigid temperatures!!

Nancy said...

Several years ago, I used a hair dryer on my "magnetic" photo albums to remove photos. Those books were brutal on photos!

LindaG said...

I will have to remember that Crisco trick. :-)

Stay safe and warm!

Jacqi Stevens said...

Great--thanks for sharing! Those kinds of temps are way too low for me!

Actually, wish we could share some of our great temps from this week--getting up to the 60s still this week, though that's thanks to no rain. If we had our usual rain and cloud cover, it would be in the 40s.

Best wishes on your military scrapbook project. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good thing it's too cold to do anything else ;)

Linda Reeder said...

I can't imagine that kind of cold! But I can imagine watching the squirrels on the greased poles! Great idea, and great fun.

Cynthia said...

Glad for some ideas about how to get the photos out of those old sticky albums safely. It's on my list for 2014. Keep your fingers and toes warm, and have a Happy New Year!

Terry and Linda said...

COLD, Now That is COLD!!! I have wondered out to save my old photos from those horrible old photobooks. Now I know!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
¸.•*¨*•♪♫♫♪HAPPY NEW YEAR ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥

Rita said...

I love those little pole-sliding buggers! ;)
You'll have to explain that dog class to us. I'm not quite sure what Chance is being taught.
About the same here, temp-wise. The snow squeaks. Makes me smile. Karma isn't happy because the snow is too cold to stick to her feet--LOL!
Happy New Year, Connie!! :)