Thursday, July 11, 2013

Growing our own

Sometimes growing crops in your yard is a good thing.  You don’t have to leave home to get the good stuff.

Sometimes the tiniest of seeds will sprout.  The squirrels are driving us all nuts…and they are destructive too..sometimes leaping from the bird bath past the plants deforming some and breaking some off.

Sunflowers June 26  June 26

Far Guy even transplanted one that was coming up in the middle of the yard.  It was the one on the far left..it was sad for a couple of days.

Sunflowers July 10

July 10

I wonder when we can harvest the crop?  Most likely the birds will help themselves.

IMG_9729

The ever watchful Border Collie has a full time job now.  When he isn’t chasing the Frisbee or playing ball he is on varmint watch..someone has to watch the sunflower crop:)

Blog Signature

9 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Morning, oh those naughty Squirrels, drive me nuts.......I need to borrow Chance,:) Blessings Francine.

DJan said...

It would be great to have a squirrel rouster around. Nice picture of the guardian looking quite regal. :-)

linda m said...

I would love to borrow Chance to keep watch over my bird feeders. I'll bet you and Far Guy are glad you have such a trusty "guard" dog. :)

Country Gal said...

Love your header ! I do hope the critters leave your crop alone ! I got photos of Miggs yesterday on critter patrol dumb thing tried to challenge her but she is faster then they think lol ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Rae said...

Riley does an excellent job of ridding the squirrels from our yard. Our problem is rabbits. They have a nest under our shed and it drives him crazy. I wish I had a place to grow sunflowers. I like to save the seeds for the birds.

Red said...

Pesky, sneaky squirrels. They don't take no for an answer. I had one on my house this morning. With screens on windows I don't think it would be long and he would be inside.

LindaG said...

Our sunflowers got transplanted twice, and most still ended up ten plus feet tall.
All I saw on ours were bugs until I knocked them down to try drying the heads.
Good luck with your crop!

Jacqi Stevens said...

I see this is the busy season for Chance :)

Rita said...

Chance is such a beautiful dog!! Good luck with the sunflowers. They seem to attract lots of hungry critters. ;)