Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Wistful Wednesday: Christmas 1952

I found this old Christmas Greeting.

Scan0061 (2)

Far Guy and his big sister in 1952.  He would have been in his terrible twos..in a few months he would have been three.  His sister would have been seven.  The photo was taken at their home in Park Rapids Minnesota.

Apparently several photos were taken.  The best would be chose along with a greeting and the negative taken into a shop that developed film.  In a few weeks your cards would come..with envelopes all set to send out for Christmas.

Scan0104 (2)

The old velvet couch had very ornate pieces of wood on each end.  I suspect that the couch was navy blue or burgundy…burgundy most likely..that was their fathers favorite color. 

These black and white photo greeting cards became popular after WWII and continued on into the 1950’s and early 1960’s.  In the mid 1960’s the Christmas photo greetings appeared in color:)

Blog Signature

15 comments:

Muffy's Marks said...

Oh, I remember those Christmas cards. Our family never sent those kind. Mom always used the traditional cards. We had 'rich' neighbors who would send them out year after year. I was envious!!

Country Gal said...

Awesome photos ! Have a good day !

DJan said...

My mother always sent out Christmas cards, but we never had any with us in them. I don't remember that we received many, either, but I could have forgotten, it's been so long ago. :-)

Anonymous said...

These are so cute. How is Gene feeling after his last injection?
Merry Christmas to you guys.

lisa said...

Very nice, I bet he was a great kid for the two stage,(maybe?).

Anonymous said...

Love seeing your trees, I have antique ornaments but not that many. Also too many decorations to get them all out and put away. Understand. linda

Beth said...

I remember those cards. We sent a similar one when our children were small.
I love old photos!

Primitive Stars said...

How sweet is Far Guy, so cute.....Love to see those old Christmas photos....... Thanks for making me smile, sure need that right about now, Enjoy the day, Hugs Francine.

MTWaggin said...

OMG we have some of those old Christmas cards and photos too. Many with one or the other of us kids looking rather angry! Go figure! We have ones that are in the same mode taken at Easter. LOL Makes me laugh now!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Love the header!!!

Karen said...

Cute! Far Guy does not look as happy as his sister about all that:)

Red said...

Yes, I remember this type of Christmas card. Really neat that some of them were kept.

LindaG said...

Great photos and a wonderful story. :o)

Jacqi Stevens said...

This is making me melancholy...I just found some old greeting cards like that in a box stowed in my closet. Sometimes, these cards are so old, it's hard to know much about them--other than that they meant something important to a family member. This holiday season is so full of memories--even memories of people who are now long gone...

Rita said...

Yes, I remember them, but mostly in color. I still get a couple of cards from people who have family photos on a card like that. :)