Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Photo Bucket List: Mail Pouch Barns

Recently when we went to Indiana I had several things on my photo bucket list.  A Mail Pouch Tobacco Barn was on the top of my list. Ron( Brother In law) found me a couple of barns.

Mail Pouch Tobacco one

Ron is a Fisherman..he knows all the little back roads to the best fishing spots along the Ohio River.

Mail Pouch Tobacco two

If I had this barn on my property I would trim the trees and put up a bench with a free will donation jar instead of “No Trespassing” signs. 

Graffiti (2)

The little village of Lanesville has the right idea, this barn is in their roadside park.

I have always been fascinated with barns..and these were special barns.  At one time there were over 20,000 barns in 22 states that were painted by the West Virginia Mail Pouch Chewing Tobacco Company.   Farmers were paid $1 to $2 a year for allowing the advertisement, the usual colors were black or red with yellow or white capital lettering.  The sides of the barn to be painted with the lettering had to be visible from the road..the rest of the barn was painted any color the famer wanted.  A farmer got someone to paint his entire barn ..what a great idea!  Many of these barns are now historic landmarks.

I kept one eye open for Quilt Barns..I saw only one and the traffic was horrid and the road was narrow..so Far Guy and I did not stop..maybe next time..it wasn’t a huge quilt anyway:)

Blog Signature

21 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Morning, love the barns, great way to advertise.....wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing.......Blessings Francine.

DJan said...

You learn something new every day, if you read blogs. I never heard of one of these barns. Very cool pictures and information. :-)

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I never knew about these; thanks for the great photos and story! I think I should create a photo bucket list, too.

linda m said...

Great photos.

Muffy's Marks said...

Shawano County, here in Wisconsin has so many quilt barns. The quilts are painted on plywood and attached to the barn. I think the barn owner buys the quilts, and the profit goes to the Art Alliance in the County. Let me know when you're coming!! We'll do a road trip together!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love these barn photos, Connie.

Beth said...

I love the red barn! There are quite a few Mail Pouch barns still remaining in Illinois!

MTWaggin said...

Way fun and I had NO idea but it makes sense to advertise there.

Leah said...

Wonderful - thanks for posting.... I love barns too! Love the history behind it!

L. D. said...

We have a lot of quilt barns here in Iowa. The signs on the sides of barns are few but we do still have some faint signs of them here and there. I remember building in Murray, Iowa that still had ads painted on them as they were being torn down.

Terry and Linda said...

How very interesting! Thanks for sharing with us...I would have never known if you hadn't!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

¸.•*¨*•♪♫♫♪Merry Christmas to you ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥
˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜”

Karen said...

Interesting! There's nothing like that around here. The closest thing I can think of are private cars that are painted over with advertising for different businesses.

Country Gal said...

I love barns . If I had one of those barns I would turn it into a gallery I have always wanted and display and hopefully sell some of my photography and Papa's wood workings. Have a good day !

Gail said...

Americana! Both painted barns and tobacco ads...that is an oddity.

Red said...

The whole barn advertising thing was interesting. Now it's quilts. What about Burma shave?

Jacqi Stevens said...

That second one is a right smart looking barn, in my opinion.

Pearl said...

I can't look at a barn without thinking of my grandparents. :-)

Pearl

RURAL said...

That's amazing, how clear and bright the colors still are.

I have to admit never seeing any advertising on barns around here.

Jen

Rita said...

I've never seen one of these barns before that I can remember. Pretty nice way to get your barn painted for free, I'd say. What the heck. :)

Sue Harper said...

Connie, my Dad chewed Mail Pouch and I have always enjoyed those barns! When I was a kid I always thought they painted those for my Dad! Sue

Sam I Am...... said...

I love barns too and I remember those signs and the Burma shave signs too. I think you should make note cards and/or send me copies! LOL! I would enlarge and frame them....they are gorgeous! they maintain them now. The ones I saw were just about gone.