Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wistful Wednesday: 1957

In the summer of 1957 we left the farm and went to live in Ray North Dakota where my Dad had a job with a construction company.  We stayed there all summer and into the fall.

Connie and Carey 1957 (2)

Back then Dad was in charge of all the equipment.  So when we would go out to visit him we could pretend we were working.  That is me in that checkered shirt and my baby brother  is on the other “Cat” perhaps we were having an imaginary race.

This summers weather is reminiscent of that warm summer in North Dakota long ago.  North Dakota is different from Minnesota and far away from the comforts of home.  No lakes..no swimming..no cool breezes coming over the fields at night. No good tasting water unless you went to the spring by the side of the road to fill the water jugs.  There were large bull snakes in the road sometimes..they scared me.  That was the summer I learned to play Jacks and Marbles..the summer I was growing so fast I had growing pains at night..and real bad dreams.  I was five that summer almost six years old and headed to first grade in the fall.  My baby brother was three and when I went off to school he would be an only child during school days and have to do “stuff” all on his own:)

Blog Signature

17 comments:

DJan said...

Your memory of that time is very vivid. I can almost see those snakes. It's a good thing you came back to the place where you had lakes and cool breezes. Minnesota suits you.

Muffy's Marks said...

Home Sweet Home is the best.. Gosh, I remember growing pains, I now wonder if that's why my 5year old granddaughter gets so cranky at times. She's grown a lot in the last year.

linda m said...

It is amazing how we can remember things so vividly from when we were young but can't remember what we went into a room for. lol!

linda m said...

It is amazing how we can remember things so vividly from when we were young but can't remember what we went into a room for. lol!

Country Gal said...

It's amazing how much you remember when you look at an old photo and it all comes back . Lovely post and photo ! I do like your header as well . Have a great day !

Anonymous said...

Great photo and memories. I was born summer of 1957. I know your baby brother missed you when you started school. I was 9 & 7 years younger than my siblings and felt much like an only child.

Beth said...

I love old photos. Great memories of a happy time.

Red said...

How life and equipment has changed. I did the same thing! Can't believe how the equipment is so different today.

RURAL said...

You bring good memories...and you make them bubble up in us also.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

West Side of Straight said...

Ya, I bet you were winning that race too! The oldest always did!

Jacqi Stevens said...

Wow that machinery seems to dwarf you! I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Interesting to see those childhood memories come flooding back, just prompted by a photo.

LindaG said...

Wonderful post. ♥

rkbsnana said...

My little brother cried when I got to go to school. I told him he was the lucky one as he got to stay home and watch Captain Kangaroo. Memories...

Anonymous said...

Ah - the memories! That's a great picture.

Alan Burnett said...

Great photos which, as always, bring forth great memories. What little I know about North Dakota had made me imagine it to be a very cold place, it is good to have my preconceptions challenged.

troutbirder said...

Wonderful memories. I wish I could go back to age five and remember this as well...;)

Sam I Am...... said...

I love your childhood memories! I think we grew up around the same time and you dressed like me! LOL! Thanks for telling me about North Dakota...my vote is for Minnesota too! Glad you returned!