Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pow wow 2012

Last evening we headed over to the Pow wow.  We got there just in time to scarf down some homemade French Fries, cheese curds and a hamburger before the Grand Entry.

Just before the Grand Entry is a sacred peace pipe ceremony.  It is not photographed.

The Grand Entry begins with the eagle staffs, then the flags, followed by the royalty.  The men enter next followed by younger men and older children.  Women and small children encircle the men and soon everyone has entered and they are all dancing around the circle.

Eagle Staffs and Flag Bearers

One of the dancers

Traditional men’s regalia with a feather bustle.

Jingle Dresses

Jingle dancers.

Deerskin dress

My favorite regalia this year was this simple oh so soft looking buckskin dress. This older lady is carrying her eagle feathers in her right hand and carries her buckskin beaded bag on her left arm.

Ediths Grand daughter

This is one of the littlest Jingle Dress dancers.  She is our friend Edith’s Granddaughter.

We came home right after the Grand Entry.  It was a nice evening..two date nights this week:)

Blog Signature

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always look forward to your posts about this. The photos are so colorful. What a precious little girl and that buckskin dress looks so soft!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Beautiful costumes- that blue is just gorgeous!

lisa said...

Beautiful, it has been years since I went to a pow wow and forgot how neat they really are!

L. D. said...

We went to one up at Grand Portage a few years ago and it is a wonderful thing to attend.

RURAL said...

Love the colors and the textures in your photos. Sounds like you had a great night.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Beth said...

I would love to attend something like that. The costumes are beautiful!

linda m said...

My husband and I usually attend Indian Summer Festival in Milwaukee every year. The Grand Entrance is always so beautiful to watch. Your pictures are great - so colorful.

Laura said...

Beautiful pictures. There are a couple of PowWows that take place near us, but we haven't been in years. Maybe next year we'll have to change that.

Country Gal said...

I haven't been to one for years ! Fantastic photos ! Looks like you had a good time ! Have a great day !

LindaG said...

Two date nights. Is Far Guy up to something, or just thanking you?
Just kidding, of course.

I would love to see one of those Pow-wows sometime. Maybe when the Indians here have one, we could go. I know they have had... meetings of some sort, but they were advertised as Indians only, so that was obviously not the same thing.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Nancy said...

I love Jingle Dresses! Several years ago, one of my students demonstrated how the jingles were made - fascinating.

Great photos. Thanks for taking us to the Pow Wow.

DJan said...

What a beautiful buckskin dress. I like her long braid hanging down her back. Nice pictures! So colorful and like you said, having two date nights in one week! Life is good.

Red said...

Hey you're living dangerously with two date nights.
Colorful costumes. It's important that these pow wows and dances be continued.

Rita said...

I've never been to one of these. That buckskin looks so soft. Love her long grey braid. And the littlest jingle dancer was so cute! I can almost imagine the sound of all those dancers jingling together. :) Hey--you might get used to this and want date nights every week. ;)

Anonymous said...

wow!! its really amazing the people and their life's. thanks for sharing them with us.

www.henrygl.com

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I love powwows. Need to get myself to one again soon. Thank you for the photos.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to go to a Pow Wow. I always enjoy your annual post about them!

Sam I Am...... said...

Here I am....trying to catch up again. I have never been to a pow wow but it looks very interesting and I've always been fascinated with the Indian cultures and their way of life. Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures with us!