Friday, August 24, 2012

Flower Fix: Salvia

I needed a flower fix. Fall is coming on strong and soon everything that isn’t dried up will be frozen. Plus I need to practice with the new camera.

Far Guy worked for me yesterday.   I put the chicken to cook, and the wash to wash and played ball with Chance before I left.  It was too warm to take him along.

Mary has great gardens, she wasn’t home but her son was.  She is very critical of her gardens...but it was all good..and Lordy be..no weeds.

Mary was one of my customers, I custom grew many things for her..she had her requests.  One was always Salvia farinacea ‘Victoria Blue’  she would buy three or four flats (60 plants per flat).  I tried it myself around the grain bin one year..you plant it and then see that it gets a little water and it blooms it’s heart out from late June until frost. The thing is IF you don’t know about the plant..you would never buy it in the pack..because it has non descript foliage.

Salvia Farinacea Victoria Blue

 

Here it is in a blue, yellow and white garden.

Mixed Gardens

It makes a lovely medium sized border.  In back is a Heliopsis of some kind, then the row of Salvia ‘Victoria blue’, Marigold most likely Sweet Cream,  Alyssum ‘New Carpet of Snow’ in the front and Lobelia ‘Marine’ (The lobelia must have had too hot of a summer.)

Salvia farinacea Victoria White

Here is Salvia farinacea ‘Victoria White’ in a different garden..this one had Pennisetum and that Japanese looking plant on the right that I cannot remember the name of.  She also had some Martha Washington Geraniums or Regal Geraniums in this bed.  I bet this is a beautiful garden on a moonlit night.

Before the flowers I stopped by to wish my Aunt Anna well, she is having major surgery tomorrow.  After the flowers I stopped by cousin Geraldines..she has new garden art.  I left I note that I took some photos:)

IMG_0569

Blog Signature

14 comments:

DJan said...

Nice pictures! I do like your new camera. Salvia is pretty; I planted some as annuals last year and meant to plant it again, since the hummers love it so much. But then I forgot. You are almost free from work. It won't be long now. :-)

Muffy's Marks said...

Fall is a pretty time of the year, but its so sad to know all those beautiful blooms will freeze. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. I guess that quote also applies to flowers.

ZielonaMila said...

Beautiful flowers, fantastic colours. I am greeting

GramMary said...

I've been looking at a pretty blue flower all summer and wondering what it was. Victoria Blue salvia!! Thank you! Your new camera works wonderfully. Is FG's face still doing well?

Red said...

Sounds like a great day if you do all this stuff before you go to work or were you late for work!
Hearing about someone who knows plants is always a good learning experience.

Muffie said...

Love the salvia -- will think about it for next year. Great photos with the new camera!
Peace,
Muff

Beth said...

The salvia is lovely. I had some of it growing at my old home. The blue color is just so pretty.

Anonymous said...

Your photos are wonderful. Love Mary's garden with so much variety. Daddy always loved Salvia. I like Geraldine's yard art and God bless Aunt Anna's surgery.

Country Gal said...

Lovely photos and flowers ! Hope your Aunt"s surgery is a success and she has a speedy recovery !

Jacqi Stevens said...

Beautiful close-up of the salvia. It seems you and your new camera are getting along just fine!

RURAL said...

One of my most favorite bedding plants, it's such a beautiful blue color...and so productive.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Terry and Linda said...

I'm enjoying seeing a bit of your yard. Your green thumb is really outstanding, you known!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Rita said...

They are all so pretty. I don't know the names like you do, but I can admire them with gusto! :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed you. Love the pictures you take. My flower gardens are not doing week they have been forgotten. Had a lot of guest this summer which I enjoyed and they take priority. Stop again Love Cousin Geraldine.