Monday, August 1, 2011

Pretty Pairings

I like display gardens, for one thing it will give you ideas for great pairings. 

How about a spiral of perennial plants in a circular garden?

IMG_5032

This was Creeping Yellow Moneywort and a low growing Sedum.  I should have taken the photo from a different direction…but it is still a cool looking garden.  I wanted to sing “Follow the yellow brick road !”

How about a checkerboard..

IMG_5034

This is Irish Moss and Scotch Moss planted in a checkerboard pattern.  The big grass in the middle was strange..King Tut Grass  with Parsley all the way around it.  Sometimes all green works..and in this case I thought is was a very calm cool garden.

IMG_5040

This one was very pretty. The outside circle is Creeping Yellow Moneywort ( a Perennial), the blue is Verbena and then a tall blue Ageratum, the taller yellow is a new Coleus and a Gold Elderberry is in the center.

I took Saturday off as a comp day.  The Grand boys and their dogs were here while their parents were on the west coast for a few days.  We went up north to a carving show, we were both disappointed..not much new for carving but there was lots of fru fru other crafts that you see all over in the summer. 

We had a late lunch/early supper with all the grand's and then headed back to take the boys home. They were both happy to be in their own home, it worked out well..a few days with us and a day out and about and a day at home.

On the way home on Sunday, Far Guy and I stopped at the display gardens at Bergeson Nursery near Fertile Minnesota.  They display annuals and perennials so well, it was a pleasure to tour their gardens.  There were a few clouds in the sky, I would have liked more clouds for really good photos...It was about 90 degrees yesterday.

Bergeson’s is a very friendly place. They have updates on their gardens and what is planted where..and “You are welcome to view the gardens anytime.  Feel free to use the restroom after hours or to put money for pop or ice cream in the little basket on the counter.”  Now that is Minnesota nice and friendly:)  

Blog Signature

15 comments:

lisa said...

I love to look at people yards when I go by so I can get some ideas for my own! Some are just beautiful and have such great imaginations! Very nice.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty gardens. Glad you had some quality time with the grands.

Alan Burnett said...

That mixture of form and order (of the patterns) and natural disorder (of the flowers) always appeals to me.

Country Gal said...

The gardens are wonderful ! Even though they didnt have great carvings still sounds like a nice time ! Have a good day !

DJan said...

I really like that first one with the spiral, but they are all very pretty. I like display gardens, too. Glad you had a day off, you deserved it.

That Janie Girl said...

Oooh, those are beautiful!

Someday...in West Texas....yeah, I'm dreaming! ;)

Karen said...

I love looking at gardens. I've never seen one like that, with different displays done within a circle.

Lanny said...

Could use a little bit of friendly at the nurseries here!

Harriet said...

Wow....thank you for the lovely gardens. I love to see creative uses of flowers.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I love going to Garden Tours and Pond Tours. I have gotten some ideas in the past doing that. I have no shame. I will steal any idea. If nothing else, you can get some great photos. I've blown up a couple just to hang.

I appreciated your day off for you.

LindaG said...

I think the gardens are very pretty. Thanks for sharing the pictures, Far Side. :)

Rae said...

The gardens are pretty. It takes some creative talent to be able to plant those patterns. It would be a nice visit to see all of them.

Karmyn R said...

OOH - I love the spiral one! I'd love to have something that manicured and planned in my garden, but unfortunately, I am the type that finds something I like and then just find any old spot to throw it in the ground.

Anonymous said...

That spiral is great! So glad you had a much-deserved day off.

Linda said...

I often stalk people's yards looking for ideas too......especially for potting options.