Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wistful Wednesday: Unexpected gifts

This is a photograph of Far Guys Great Grandparents.  Louis and Louisa Stuve.  His Grandmother Theresa’s (Tracie’s) parents.

Louis and Louisa Basch Stuve

I have this old photo, I am not sure who shared it with me..one of Far Guys relatives.  Louis was born in Missouri in 1854 he died in 1932.  Louisa was born in 1861 in Missouri and died in 1929. They are both buried in the cemetery in town.  We need to go there one of these days and take some photos and see who else is buried there.  I think that this photo was taken sometime in the 1920’s.

Now.. for a little history.  I always knew Grandma Tracie had lots of sisters..they were visiting her all the time and they loved to have their photos taken together.  I have only one photo of her brothers and I am not sure who is who.  There  were 14 children.

I have been going to research these relatives.  Nothing much is known about the boys, they left in late 1929 or the early 1930’s after they could not meet their bills..they lost their farms..one day they were here and the next day they left for out east.  After hearing this family story I have always wondered what happened to them.

Last week an elderly gentleman and his wife wandered into the museum.  He said “I am not sure if I am in the right place, I am looking for the Genealogical society.”  I replied, “Yes we have a research room.”  I asked “Who are you researching?”  He said “A family by the name of Stuve.”  I said “Louis and Louisa?”  He said “Yes, but how would you know their names?”  I said “Well they are my husbands Great Grandparents.”  The gentleman whose name is Dick could not believe it.  He is the President of a Genealogy Society down in Iowa.  He showed me a photograph and I pointed out Far Guys Grandmother and Great Aunt Emma..oh my they were young!

The gift:  Dick let me copy the names and birthdates of all of Grandmas siblings.

Mathilda 1880 to 1962 Los Angeles California

Carolina 1882 to 1967 Logan Iowa

Albert 1883 to 1947 Blue Earth Minnesota

Charles 1884 to 1947 Harrison County Iowa ** note both Albert and Charles died the same day in the same year.

Laura 1886 to 1944 no known place of death.

Ferdinand or “Ferd” (twin) 1888 to 1941 Detroit Michigan

Wilhelmina (twin) 1888 to 1977 Portland Oregon

Fredrick or “Fred” 1890 to 1967  Mesa Arizona

Anna 1893 to 1978 Bemidji Minnesota

*Teresa (Theresa)1895 to 1983 Park Rapids Minnesota

Emma 1897 to 1982 Park Rapids Minnesota

Lydia  1899 to 1927 Minnesota

Louisa 1901 to 1903 Harrison County Iowa

Francis 1903 to 1993 Grand Rapids Minnesota

Part of my research has been done for me!  Okay now for the connection.  Dicks family branches out from a brother of Louis (Great Grandpa Stuve).  He has traced the family roots back to 1830 in Hannover Germany to Ernest Claude and Henrietta  Stueve.  Sometime perhaps during immigration the middle e was dropped from the name.

How wonderful to meet a distant relative, but one with family history to share..and unexpected gift:)

* Sometimes transcribers miss letters in names or transcribe them incorrectly.  For instance Grandmas name is spelled Theresia or Teresa and “Tracy” in some of the paperwork. In one reference she is listed as Teresa Bertha Katherine.  Her name was Theresa Katherine as far as I know and she liked being called Tracie and that is how she used to sign letters and cards to us.

Blog Signature

12 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

What a wonderful coincidence : a rush of additional information like that is always a welcome thing.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Unbelievable that such a treasure walked in the door for you. Just think what you would have missed if you hadn't been there? I was looking at the birth years to see the space between children. There wasn't much. I always thnk of those ladies and what it must have felt like to know youy were prgnant for number 8 or 9, let alone number 14. They were amazing women.

The song I posted, "Misty Blue" was from the 70s. You would have caught up to that decade eventually. :)

DJan said...

Talk about being in the right place at the right time! And it is a find for both of you, I imagine your distant relative is also ecstatic about HIS find. I realized when I counted it out, that Louisa was 68 when she died, my current age. She sure looked old in that picture, but they lived hard lives.

Patsy said...

Oh how exciting your story gave me goose bumps. When you want to fine them some how it happens just like that. I do believe They want to be found.

LindaG said...

I agree. What a wonderful coincidence! That will make your research so much easier. :)

troutbirder said...

Serendipity for sure. I sure would like to run into someone that could do that for me.
Beautiful flowers. Trapsing through public garden is a favortie activity of mine.

Dreaming said...

How wonderful - you are right, what a gift!
Genealogical research can present quite a challenge - fun puzzles to solve!

Karen said...

Oh wow, that would be so exciting!
But those poor women back then, a baby factory, and add in all the other hard work they did.....
Most of those children were quite long lived for that day and age. Far Guy has good genes:)

A rootdigger said...

Stuve, huh and blue earth minn. I shall have to look into your blog further.
oldendorf and nahrendorf bergen celle, uelzen.

Red said...

Met some people who had the name Stuive. Probably the same clan. Yes, spelling was changed many times as often the people writing names were of a different language and things were put down phonetically.

Anonymous said...

She always signed my cards "Grandma Gene" :)

West Side of Straight said...

Oh how exciting!!!! Makes you want to get busy and do more research, doesn't it.