Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Table

A volunteer by the name of Mark and I worked really hard last week to try to get the room that houses all the old medical equipment ready for the public.   It is a work in progress.

We found this..

IMG_4070

This is a table.  What is really cool about this table is that it is portable.  The legs fold up and the headrest folds down and then the halves of the table fold together and you can carry it where ever you want to be..it is not real heavy.  I would guess that it is made from Birch. What do you think it was used for?

The handle that you carry it around with is on the left.  This little sign is on the right. 

IMG_4072 

Made by The Gleason Board Co. Rochester NY.   I did a quick search for them, I found that they began their business in 1865.  I will venture to guess that the table was manufactured sometime in 1870 to 1880.

Mark and I talked about this table.  Mark guessed it was like a portable massage table.  I guessed that it was a traveling Doctors exam table.  We were both wrong.  Have you guessed what kind of a table it is yet?

Mark is a musician, he plays guitar and mandolin and who knows what all..he gives music lessons the rest of the week and on Tuesdays he volunteers at the museum.  Far Guy is coming to help with the communications room this next week..we have a switchboard and all kinds of phones and typewriters galore and cameras..oh ya..I guess I am babbling on like a brook..

Did you guess Embalming Table?  Well that is what it is. I learn something new everyday..:)

Blog Signature

18 comments:

Rita said...

I was stumped! The doctors back then just examined people wherever they were at home, I kind of knew that. Massage--I don't think they would travel to people's homes to do that in the 1800s. Birthing table--again, nope--just done at home alone or with midwife...I was stumped.

Embalming table!! Makes perfect sense! They kept people at home back then and had viewings in the parlor. I suppose the people who had money could afford to actually embalm a loved one.

You are becoming a font of additional museum knowledge--besides your knowledge of all the plants and critters that astounds me. ;)

DJan said...

No, I would not have guessed its use. But of course it sure looks like it could double for an examination table, don't you think? Embalming must have been done much more often than I suspected. Very interesting indeed!

Pauline Persing said...

Very interesting. I am learning something every time you post a blog about your new job.

Laura said...

I was stumped too! I never would have guessed embalming table though. Very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Embalming table? Nope - never would have guessed. What a great find!

Lynda said...

Never, ever would have guessed embalming table. How very interesting. I wonder if they protected the wood first. The museum people should be loving you. It sounds like you are unearthing treasures galore for later viewing. You do enjoy the research about all this, too. It's obvious from your writing.

LindaG said...

See, I would have thought exam table, too.
I guess embalming table is close. ;)

Linda said...

That table is probably why Gus is so cranky......he sleeps there.

Patsy said...

I was thinking Gus too! Sure glad you took this job.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I just love learning something historic. The table makes perfect sense when you know what it is.

I looked to see if it had a cut out in the head area because my BIL is a chiroprator and has a portable table. No, it didn't have one...

You stumped me too.

Judy said...

My reaction was "yuck"...embalming table...just burn me up...

troutbirder said...

I would never have guessed. Of course, I don't know much about the art. One of my tennis opponents is the local undertaking but we don't discuss his professional work very much.....

CiCi said...

A portable embalming table? Interesting. I will have to do some research.

NCmountainwoman said...

Wow! An embalming table. That will make for some interesting conversations.

EcoRover said...

What a great project you have as curator of the museum, identifying & displaying these artifacts. An embalming table must mean there is also a stash of the equipment that went with it? Creepy but fascinating.

Thanks for stopping by at EcoRover & for the kind words--enjoy your posts whether embalming table or funny footstool etc.

Karen said...

You are teaching us something new every day:)
I wonder why the head of the table tips up. Do they pour embalming fluids down the throat?

L. D. said...

I was not ever going to guess that. I don't know why it would have had to be portable unless they put it away when it wasn't in use. Duh, I guess that was it.

Pamela said...

kind of macabre