Friday, July 8, 2011

Museum Mystery Item

Every now and again I run into something at the museum that I have no idea what in the world it is. 

The only clues I have to go on are:

This was found in the medical room. (which may or may not be a clue..as I found lots of “stuff” in there)

It is roughly the same size as a rolling pin.

It has the word Leningrad hand carved into one of the handles.

It has no museum identifying marks of any kind.

It has no manufacturing marks of any kind.

It sits up on the dark colored circular thingys quite a bit..I can think of no food that could be rolled with it.  It would have to be fat fluffy food if it is a rolling pin of some sort.

Mystery Item

What do you think?  I spent some time on the Internet trying to find something that looked similar..with no luck.  My readers are very smart..I am sure someone knows what it is and what it does. 

The medical room is a work in progress, it is coming along. Mark and my Mother and I have removed lots of dust.

Today I entered the museum into a new Federally State Funded Program. It is called RSVP which stands for Retired Senior Volunteer Program.  You have to be 55 years old to qualify.  If you volunteer for at least two hours you can be reimbursed 18 cents a mile ( maximum per month 20 dollars) for your travel and you are covered by a small insurance policy while you are volunteering and you get a free dinner.  Not much but at least it is something!  They will send people my way and I can sign up any of my regular volunteers.  I have several that will qualify and several that are just not old enough:)

Blog Signature

21 comments:

Gail said...

Could it be for a massage?

Interesting!

Intense Guy said...

If it isn't a foot (arch) messager or an embalming tool (ick) I would guess it is a spindle of some sort for spinning wool - they come in all shapes and sizes.

DJan said...

Many things came to mind... but I still cannot fathom what it might have been. I like to think a massage tool, but I suspect it is more sinister than that! Sorry I can't help you.

Intense Guy said...

I saw rolling pins with weaves and grooves in them used to "cut" ravioli dough and decorate cake icing... what a mystery!

Changes in the wind said...

I think it is indeed a type of rolling pin from Russia.

Dreaming said...

I'm thinking a back massager.

The RTSP program sounds really interesting. I poked around on the Internet to find out more about it. Haven't found a connection in our area... yet!

Country Gal said...

I think it might be a part of an old Russian spinning wheel ! I searched and found photos of spinning wheels that have similar looking parts ! Good luck on finding out ! Have a great day !

Linda said...

I'd be using it to massage my feet!!

Rita said...

It looks pretty large. With the rubber rings it seems like it must be part of some kind of machinery or used under something heavy to help roll it? (Even a body!) I can't imagine it would be used for food even if it looks similar to a rolling pin. It will be fascinating if somebody finds out! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't have a clue but looks like your followers have some good guesses. That's very interesting about the RSVP program - as you say, every little bit helps! Have a nice weekend Connie! Hugs to Chance.

Anonymous said...

It's a magazine holder. I've seen them used in college libraries.

Stitches said...

My guess would be a rolling pin. I think the rubber rings are on there to roll the dough at a certain depth. The groves would make decorative lines in the dough..Strictly a guess on my part but I think it sounds good..I will be watching to see if someone comes up with the true facts!!

LindaG said...

I was thinking the same as Gail and some others. Some sort of machine for massaging something. :)

Lynda said...

No clue on the 'rolling pin' - - - - I can't think of anything tonight.
That volunteer program sounds wonderful - - but you couldn't reimburse me enough for the mileage so guess I will have to pass up the free meal - - - which I rarely do!

Marsanne Petty said...

Maybe this lady can help if she sees the picture - she has a large number of antique medal items.

http://www.vintagemedical.com/pages/mischospital.html

Anonymous said...

No idea! But it looks old!

KennyD said...

Looks like it might be a Russian version for a Ravioli maker.

Melody said...

My daughter (Marsanne) also suggested this: My best guess is that it is a rolling wheel, which was used to mold metal into various shapes. Two of those pins would be on top of one another, and the rubber pieces at the ends would make sure they stayed in place. Sheets of metal would be fed in between the two pins and would come out in that design. But I can't find a picture of one online, so I'm not positive. That's what it looks like from descriptions I've read, though.
Be sure to let us know when you find out:)

L. D. said...

It is a conversation piece for sure.

Nate Maas said...

I agree with Intense Guy. I think it is probably a foot messager. If you google "foot roller," you'll find images of many things that look very similar.

Pamela said...

shakes head.