Friday, July 1, 2011

Gus the Ghost

There once was a cranky old women who left her husband and dog home alone all day to become the director of a museum. She was fairly normal, except for being cranky and occasionally being a bit bitchy.

She did not believe in ghosts.  Well maybe she did just a little, she had seen a ghost of a person once and a ghost of a dog..but they were dead ghosts…just there fleetingly for a few seconds. Those ghosts were not a problem.

The cranky old lady encountered some strange things..doors opened that had been locked…(It really freaked her out and she thought she might be crazy.)  Things that were in one place moved to another place..spooky.  Sometimes she swore that something was out to frighten her away. ( She is usually not a chicken or a screamer or a fraidy cat unless it involves snakes.)

Then one day..one of her many bosses ( that is a nightmare in itself) told her about the resident ghost.  It seems that the building is notorious for being haunted. 

The cranky old woman was a bit suspicious after finding Ghost Hunters business cards in her desk and cards for séances..she thought it was a tad strange. ( Actually she thought ..what in the world have I gotten myself into?)

Her grandchildren thought it was way cool that she actually worked in a place that was haunted.   They all agreed that it was haunted, one grand was so scared that she didn’t want to go downstairs to the “scary” bathroom all by herself. 

Yes, it was verified through many sources that Peter or Gus the Ghost as he is called has been haunting the old courthouse for years.  For about 68 years to be precise and that the Ghost Hunters were there with their special cameras and they have asked for permission to come back again sometime because their results were inconclusive.

So I work with a freaking ghost..a mischievous one..lately he turns lights on and off and sets off the security alarm at night with his wild parties. He is a nuisance ghost.

Do you think that one of the cranky old woman's many ( seven) bosses should have mentioned it?

The old volunteers know all about Gus the Ghost..the new ones not so much..I am afraid I may scare them all away.

This is as much of the real story as I know.

He was a tormented soul, he only had one arm. His only son was killed during World War Two. He was the boiler operator at the courthouse, one night in 1943 or 1944 he had enough of this world and hung himself.  Local children were walking past the Courthouse on the way to school and saw his body through one of the windows.IMG_4095

This may or may not be the window..it is the only one that I think it can be.  In a few weeks this room will be cleared out..we have an old jail cell that is going to occupy this room..I can only imagine what fun Gus will have with the workers in that room:) 

Blog Signature

26 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

It's never boring, huh?

Keep me informed!

Shirley H. said...

Oh, dear - what next? What an interesting old place. I have never seen a ghost but my daughter says she saw an old man ghost in the basement of an old old house here in MPLS. I have no reason to doubt her. That basement had those old stone walls and I thought it was kind of a creepy place myself.

West Side of Straight said...

How interesting?!?!?!?

Rita said...

Now that is dang interesting! I wonder how Gus will take to a jail cell in his hangin' room?

If you advertised about the ghost you'd probably get even more visitors!! That's cool that the Ghost Hunter show was there! I'd be over to check it out for sure! ;)

Gail said...

What a wonderful tale! Maybe your ghost is just wanting to feel needed. Give him a job.

Write these tales in a short book and have it as a way to bring in money for the museum!

Intense Guy said...

I hope you get a visit from Jennifer Love Hewitt (lucky you!) so that Gus can become a "dead ghost" like the other ones.

I would think telling prospective volunteers about the ghost might actually induce some of the to sign up on the spot, a lot of folks are ummm... "like that".

For all your say it's so... I STILL can't picture you as cranky.

:)

Judy said...

I'm one of those who think this is really cool...my house is haunted, but we haven't had much activity for a long time...not since the kids moved out...wonder if those two events are connected...teehee

Laura said...

Wow! Very interesting. And a little bit scary. Can't wait to hear more though (as long as I don't have to be in the same room I'm okay with ghosts).

DJan said...

Spooky! But a fun kind of spooky. Now this will be an interesting development between the ghost and the cranky old lady! Can't wait! :-)

linda m said...

You could run a "haunted ghost tour" and make more money for the museum. Cool!!!!

Country Gal said...

I myself have experianced ghosts !Both my mum and I have always been able to sence their presents but to many people never believe us till they see it for them selves so it was and is a hush hush thing ! A long story I will tell of it one day !He needs to cross over. Most old buildings with history have ghosts ! I have always been facinated by the paranormal and have studied it myself ! I would love to work there ! Have a wonderful weekend !

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine that your grands are much more enthusiastic about this than you are! Looks like "someone" should have told you!

Pauline Persing said...

Wonderful blog. Just the kind of story that grows and grows. I like every bit of it, especially the cranky old woman.

Pauline Persing said...

Exactly what is "full page"?

Lynda said...

It has certainly been an interesting summer for both you and us with your new job. And it has intrigued your family, too because they have been there at times to help. Will the jail cell have a bed? Gus can finally rest in peace then. haha

Becca's Dirt said...

You Ole Scardy Cat!!! LOL I think I've seen angels or something moving. 'I see people'. Lol Have a nice holiday weekend and don't go to any seance.

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating legend! Love it... a naughty ghost!

LindaG said...

I think that's kind of cool.
But I don't have to be there. ;)
Have a great weekend, Far Side. :)

Linda said...

I'm sure you'll mess with GUs more than he'll mess with you.

Jeanne Estridge said...

I'm with the g-kids on this one--very cool!

troutbirder said...

Good grief. That is creeeepy'

Leenie said...

Not saying there couldn't be a little supernatural stuff connected to a collection of items with a lot of history, but maybe one of the many bosses revived the story to create interest and business at the museum.

I wouldn't pay ghost hunters, I'd charge them for a hunting permit.

Red said...

Super story! We've all heard stories like this one. We've all heard sceptics like yourself talk on ghosts.
Good thing you have this neat summer job. Keep telling stories.

The Retired One said...

LOVE THIS! We lived in a Victorian house for 14 years that had a mischeivious ghost (we called him Ben as the kids did a Ouiji board thing and it said it was a 13 yr. old boy named Ben). We had lights go on and off, dressers moved, TV channels changed and go back again when we asked him to put back the same channel, doors shutting with no windows open, footsteps in the attack..I could go on and on). I so believe in them (ghosts). You should talk to him when you are working, he will give you a sign that he is there for sure...and then strike up a deal with him to behave. LOL

Karen said...

While I find it all very fascinating,the ghost thing, I don't think you'd find me in that museum alone after dark:(

Pamela said...

he's just hanging around the embalming table