Friday, June 10, 2011

In the Yard

These little birds are so ugly that only a Mama and Papa bird could love them.   Far Guy reported a while back that there was a nest with an egg in it near one of the honeysuckle vines that I wanted trimmed.  The nest was painstakingly built in the fishing net that covers the side of the grain bin for vines that climb. He put off his trimming for awhile. I told him perhaps it was an egg left over from last year.  Then one day he reported that the left over egg from last year hatched.  Apparently there was more than one egg laid in that nest, and apparently they were not year old eggs. unknown Baby birds

Far Guy thinks that they are Redpoll babies.   There are four of the hungry little things.

I have two blooms on the Fern Leaf Peony that was a gift from Iowa last year! Fern Leaf peony

She is a beauty.. I am so glad she survived her first winter in Minnesota.

Lilac in the yard

Far Guys Lilac has two blooms on it this year.  When he planted it many years ago, it was a sorry looking stick.  All I know for certain is that it is a late lilac..most of the other lilacs are past their peak bloom time and this one is just in the bud stage.  I had one of those designer Lilacs “Tinkerbelle” I think..I kilt it. I also have a Japanese Tree Lilac that has never bloomed..but maybe this is her year..it is not quite time for her to bloom yet.

Nearly everyday something new is happening in our yard:)

Blog Signature

20 comments:

troutbirder said...

What a great gift! I had a fern leaf peony once but it was lost when we moved. I did check them out in the catalgues but they are sooo expensive.

Leah said...

I would like to track down a fern leaf peony - will have to save my pennies - they sure are beautiful! Interesting ugly baby birds!

DJan said...

I don't think they were year old eggs! :-)

I didn't realize that lilacs had different blooming times, but that explains the difference in the ones I see around here. The darker ones seem to be later bloomers.

lisa said...

Great pictures, I think most baby birds are pretty darn ugly until they have most of their feathers. Glad he got some blooms on his lilac!

Judy said...

Isn't it fun to watch the plants progress to their bloom...each in it's time...I've tried over the years to pay attention to what comes next, but am not successful in remembering...in the courtyard where my father is living at the moment, they have some late lilacs...I didn't even know there was such a thing...I was just wondering why there were so late...teehee silly me...

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I love watching baby birds mature and leave the nest. I feel like a bird Nana to them too. The flowers are always good. Seeing new ones blooms never fails to lift my spirits.

Linda said...

I'm happy to hear your fern leaf peony survived and is blooming. I have one bloom on a Japanese peony that I thought I'd kilt.

Country Gal said...

It's great to see all come to life, I love it. Yup baby birds are ugly but grow into wonderful looking creatures ! Love your photos, Have a great day !

Terry and Linda said...

Great post, again! I tried growing blue-eyed grass here without any luck. We are just way too dry!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/

LindaG said...

Hope you all have a great weekend. :)

Becca's Dirt said...

That is a pretty gift. Love the pretty red color. Have a good weekend.

RURAL said...

Faces only a mother could love...so cute anyways.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Emma Rose said...

I love baby birds, but the Duchess says I can't be trusted around them :(

Your flowers are beautiful. We are finally starting to see some color here too. FINALLY!

Kisses for chance,
Emma Rose

That Janie Girl said...

Beautiful babies!

Love your photos...but you knew that already!

Anonymous said...

Awww... what cute-ugly birds!

And that peony - wow, what a fabulous colour!

Gail said...

What a beautiful flower! I do not think I have seen one like that before.

You are right, those certainly are ugly babies. Granny always said, Ugly in the cradle, pretty in the saddle.

Lynda said...

Oh it is fun to make discoveries in nature but you are right about the birds - - they are not attractive at all. On the flip side, the flowers are beautiful.

gayle said...

I love seeing baby birds! Hopefully you can get more pictures of them!

L. D. said...

Oh my, I am so glad the fernleaf peony bloomed. What a wonderful photo. I was thinking I should figure out how to cultivate them and sell them. It would take quite a few years to get it going so the stock could build, Oh well, I am glad it did so well in Minnesota.

Lanny said...

"Nearly everyday something new is happening in our yard:)" Isn't that just the grooviest thing about tending a yard?! My Moscow lilac finally bloomed a good show this year! Yum. I think I have lost my oldest ones, in a hedge, because of the wet, two years in a row.