Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Tall Tree : Part One

Far Guy bought me a TALL tree last year after I whined publicly on my blog about the time when I picked out a really tall tree for him to cut down..he did..then he cut it off about 6 feet tall when I wanted a 12 foot tall tree. Miscommunication at it’s finest.  Last year he felt so guilty that he bought me a ten foot tall artificial tree for upstairs.  It gets no lights..and is the perfect tree for all of the Shiny Brites that I collect.  Shiny Brites are glass ornaments from the 1940’s and the 1950’s.

The “Grands” helped me decorate the TALL tree it last year..I will save several boxes of ornaments for them to put on the tree on Christmas Eve.  It is a new tradition.

The tree coffin has been opened The tree coffin was opened, the tree set up and the ornaments spread out.

Luckily the top part of the ten foot tall tree can be decorated separately and then hoisted up in place with only a few of the 200 ornaments falling off..and minimal cussing.

The Tall tree two

It is about one third done..since I am counting the ornaments I will know how many I have on it when it is complete.  I wonder what will happen first a full tree or an empty coffin?  Last year I ran out of ornament hooks..that won’t be happening this year.

Ornaments on the tall tree

I would like to have all the fancy ornament hangers like the one in this photo..they don’t get nearly as tangled as the other plain ones.

Shiny Brites are what they are.  Many people used to spray artificial snow on their trees years ago, the red Shiny Brite in the background is sporting some old snow.  I leave the ornaments in their original condition, if they have string hangers they are left in place. If they are dusty I wipe them with a dry cloth, nothing wet should ever be used on them..paints they used back then are not waterproof.  If they are so filthy that you want to wash them..then don’t buy them.

The designers must have had a blast choosing the designs and  the colors. Since these ornaments are glass..they can break and I am sure that was part of the design..for repeat customers.

  Chance and the tall treeIMG_9991 There is whole lot of tree yet to decorate..it is a work in progress:)

Life lessons learned this week:  Do not put all of the extra wire ornament hangers in a wire basket..they will fall through the holes and it take you an hour to get them untangled..I felt like throwing the entire mess in the garbage.

16 comments:

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I HAVE thrown the entire mess in the garbage and now leave all the hangers on each ornament and it works for me. :) I just squeeze the wire extra tight that goes through the loop on the ornament.
No more tangles..
Hugs,
Mona

Anonymous said...

I remember the tree story from last year. I think it is beautiful with your Shiny Brites. I tried enlarging old photos of our trees from the 50's but I still can't tell if there were SB's on them. Chance is probably wondering why you are playing with SB's instead of his tennis ball!!!

Lynda said...

I do love that fancy ornament hanger. Too bad you can't suggest it to some company because there would be a market for them.

Chance looks like, "Here we go again. All this activity that I have to guard. It's cutting into my naptime!"

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh, it looks splendid !
I love tall trees, so much so, I no longer put up my 'fat' tree, but use an Alpine/Pencil Tree instead.
No furniture to move, and goes all the way to the ceiling.
I just love those shiny ornaments !

DJan said...

Those shiny brites bring back a lot of Christmas memories to me. I wonder which of Mom's kids inherited all her ornaments. Probably the youngest. They knew better than to give any to me, since for so long I was such a vagabond.

Country Gal said...

WOW AWESOME ! cant wait to see pics of it when its all decorated ! Have a warm and happy day !

Emma Rose said...

I've never seen a curly ornament hook. Don't show the Duchess or she will want 100's of them. Your big tree is very beautiful. Especially with Chance sitting in front of it!

Kisses,
Emma Rose

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I'm so glad it arose from the coffin...it is a most beautiful tree, I can't wait to see it after the 'grands' get a hold of it!!!

God bless and have a marvelous weekend sweetie!!!

Anonymous said...

Love all those shiny ornaments! We haven't got our tree out or bought one... Guess it's time!

L. D. said...

Chance is looking a little confused about the temporary tree. Our dogs can't deal with the one in the bay window as Barney still wants to look out that window and bark. I can hardly wait to see it all done. I am posting a modern indent to day as I don't have time to do much else.

gayle said...

I love your ornaments! Sure wish I knew where my mom went to. Probably thrown out by someone. I won't mention names but I'm sure it wasn't my dad.

RURAL said...

Connie, I have those ornament hangers, got them at the dollar store. But I am sure you can make them by bending the wire yourself.

I remember telling you about the beautiful copper, and dull gold shiny brights I got from my Mom, they are true treasures.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

DayPhoto said...

Your wire hangers are to die for, now days the wire hooks are so thin they really can't hang up anything!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Pamela said...

that is a cool hanger.
our tree is small this year
and up on a table
but the 3 year old still is after it -- and the 18 month old of course is a handful.

Marla said...

Love this. Shiny Brites are the best. I find them all the time in the thrift stores here.

cemil said...

The Turkish perfect decoration models, look here www.boyavedekor.com :)