Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pow Wow : Final Thoughts

A few final thoughts and photos that I wanted to share ..

One thing that really impressed me, the honor that they show to their Veterans. After the Grand Entry they held a flag ceremony. The Flags that had been flying all day, were flags from Funerals, they were taken down by Veterans..Native and Non Native.. Far Guy helped. The flags were folded and then presented back to the family members..it was a very touching ceremony, I watched and took no photos.

The Flag carriers were all Veterans, I am used to a very uncluttered military uniform. A pony tail would have never been seen, or bells on shiny boots.


The Dancers, although I enjoyed the Jingle Dresses, there were some very young and energetic Fancy Shawl dancers. Fancy Shawl dancers can whirl and twirl wildly til they are dizzy!



There were two women whose Traditional Regalia..(the correct word for their clothing) impressed me. They carry a fringed shawl over one arm and have a awl and knife case on their belt. The Eagle Feather or Eagle Feather Fan that they carry..somehow is held to honor the drums and the beat of the drums.

Just before we left, I was smelling smoke, it was the Spiritual leader doing another ceremony..a healing ceremony..for a gal with cancer and a gal that was seriously injured in a car accident. He shooed the smoke around them with an eagle feather, and mumbled words.. then they took the place of honor in front of the announcers booth while family and friends danced for them. Later Far Guy shared with me what the strange tobacco was..a mixture of tobacco, sweet grass and bear intestines. Why Bear? Someone said ..it pleases the spirits. Earlier in the evening there was a small bird flitting around, it had a problem flying, finally the announcer said " Everyone please leave that bird alone, it might be a spirit bird. " :)

8 comments:

Girl Tornado said...

Interesting posts, all of them. I like the bells on their boots, rather unique, and I enjoyed the reason behind the jingle dresses, and how they make the jingles. Man, that is a lot of jingles on one dress!!

Anonymous said...

This has been interesting to read and the pictures are just wonderful Connie. Thanks for sharing your visit with us.

L. D. said...

I appreciate your writing that you have done about this Pow Wow. I had not know much about the dress other than those tribes that make ribbon shirts and skirts. I think those are more the southern tribes. I was impressed at the one that I attended about their high regard for the veterans. They are very proud of their heritage that they have while living in the land that once they solely controlled.

Rae said...

I think it would be beneficial if we all learned a lesson from these Native Americans. Not only respect for their elders and maintaining traditions but the reverence they showed for the flag. I would have been very moved by the ceremony. These posts have been very informative and I am so glad you shared them. The photos were excellent also. Thanks Connie.

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Far Side, a high proportion of Native Americans have served our country, relative to their population. It was nice to hear your rendition of how the two cultures came together for the afternoon. You did a great job of bringing it to life. I felt like I was there. :)

Anonymous said...

I love this post and the previous onen too about the jingle dresses and shawl twirlers. So colourful and energetic!

Andrea said...

These were really interesting about the Native Americans. Thanks. Were there a lot of "spectators" there? The Nanticokes have a pow wow in southern Delaware each year and it is massively crowded.

The Retired One said...

Thanks for posting this series on the Pow Wow...it was very educational and interesting and I learned a lot. Loved the photos too. It was like being there.