Sunday, August 9, 2009

Nature Hike

The Nature Hike went well, the weather was not cooperative..it was mostly a misty rain. We took an umbrella, just in case someone wanted to use it. I am not sweet enough to melt in a little rain. We had six people who didn't mind a little rain along with their hike. Friendly very nice people from North Dakota. They asked some great questions, no I could not answer them all..I am not well versed on ALL of the underbrush that grows here in Minnesota. Some of it I know well..like Poison Ivy and Wild grapes. If I didn't know, I just said I am sorry I have no idea.. they all seemed okay with that. At first they were focused on trees and walking very fast..hiking! You have to slow down a little to see and appreciate the Wildflowers. You have to meander a little..they did enjoy the circular clearing that had some sunshine, enough to give some Rudbeckia, Milkweed, and Bell flowers a chance to bloom. .. we finished up on the boardwalk where you can look down into the plants. Not much is blooming there, but some berries were showing off.

Rose Twisted Stalk or Streptopus roseus which has very pale pink flowers in the early spring but has a very pretty red berry now..non edible..it won't kill ya..but you may spend the rest of the day reading on the throne.

Bluebead Lily or Clintonia borealis has tiny yellow lily like flowers in spring which give rise to beautiful blue berries..which are poisonous. Not all blue berries are safe to eat.

One very pretty little flower they have over there is Heal all or Self heal or Prunella vulgaris. It's lower spent petals form a landing lip for insects. This plant blooms all summer. I took these photos last week when the sun was shining!

In their more formal gardens, Ligularia or The Rockets are in bloom as is Hydrangea 'Annabelle'. I took time out for a few photos after we were finished with our hike. We were graciously thanked and given two tickets to their Chuck Wagon Dinner on Saturday Nights. We will have to use them before Labor Day. That should be an interesting experience..I will take my camera. I rarely eat a meal that costs 19.95 If I want to spend that much on a meal, I will go to the grocery store and buy some really great steaks. This Chuck Wagon Dinner is supposed to be an experience ..it is a touristy thing..but hey we get to go free!! :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty pictures today Connie. I only recognized one! I can't wait to hear about your Chuck Wagon dinner - that sounds interesting and it should be VERY GOOD!! Keep us posted.

Rae said...

At least it was just a misting rain. Your photos turned out pretty. Have fun when you go for your meal. Sounds like a good place to go. Look forward to more pictures.

L. D. said...

Having just retired I find it is time to stop and smell the roses along the way. People do go too fast to see the wildflowers and wildlife. I will post about my new book, so cheap, at Borders. I am glad you all didn't melt. I bet it was fun.

Girl Tornado said...

I think it's nice to walk in a misting rain. Your photos are lovely... I really like the ligularia!

Jeanne Estridge said...

This reminds me of one of my favorite lines from the old "Taxi" sitcom, when Reverend Jim says, "I believe you've mistaken blue berries for blueberries." (Not that you have....)

Emma Rose said...

Great photos. I also only recognized one of them! Have fun at the dinner. Sounds like it could be a real experience.

Kisses for Chance!

June said...

The first one looks very much like a plant that I took a lot of pictures of last fall. On "mine," the berries were speckled pink/red and the leaves turned brown in a really eyecatching way!

That Janie Girl said...

Love the pix....we don't really have berries here...

An English Shepherd said...

Looks like you had a great hike, I think we have some rockets in our garden.

Food sounds interesting...

Wizz :-)