Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wistful Wednesday: Uncle Andrew

My Dad had lots of older brothers, and two younger brothers. One of those younger brothers was my Uncle Andrew. He lived with us off and and on, he spoiled me, we played card games and went for ice cream, he was fun to have around. I adored him. One day he wanted to talk, so we went upstairs at Grandpa's, he had something for me. I sat on the edge of the bed, he gave me a beautiful scarf and said "I want you to have this." It was from Hawaii where he had been stationed during the last part of his stint in the Army. I was so happy, then he lowered the boom, he had met a girl, and he said "I am going to marry her." I asked "Who?" So he told me, I was expecting some glamorous movie star blonde, he was so dreamy looking, and he was so sweet and kind, and I loved him so. I knew this girl he wanted to marry, she was pretty, not quite pretty enough for him, but I suppose that no one would have ever been that special. I thanked him for the scarf and gave him a big hug, and wiped my tears with the scarf he gave me. He did get married, but he always had time for me, he always had a hug. I always wanted to ask him, how many scarfs he brought back with him, and wondered how many other girls he had to let down gently with the news of his nuptials. I kept that scarf for years and years, neatly folded up in my second dresser drawer, I hardly ever wore it, it was a huge slippery scarf mainly white with a red border with Pearl Harbor on it and some other Hawaii stuff, it was one of those scarfs that you used to wear on windy days..remember when you tied the scarf in a big old knot and centered the knot right on your chin? Very glamorous.. One day I packed it away in a box, I was moving all my things from my parents house to get married. The scarf ...it ended up water damaged and moldy when we moved to Florida. It was a very special childhood memory for me:)

12 comments:

Rae said...

What a wonderful uncle and some special memories as well. My brother is 10 years older than me and when he broke the news he was getting married I didn't take it as well as you did with your uncle. I had always liked his girlfriend, but despised her for becoming his wife. In my young mind she was taking away the brother that I adored. It is funny when I look back on it now.

Emma Rose said...

Very handsome guy! I'm sorry to hear about the scarf though. Thank goodness our treasured memories never get moldy!

Kisses for Chance,
Emma Rose

PS There is still an off chance that Gryff will come live with us.

Tami Weingartner said...

What a handsome devil! Is that haircut called a 'flat top'....I think so. I want my hubby to have that and he always says no.

Anonymous said...

What a precious memory.

Coffee with Cathy said...

Love this story, as always. And the bonus carf-tying advice, too! How lucky you are to appreciate your family -- and how lucky we are to get to share your memories.

L. D. said...

I remember those shirts with pineapples on them. That is a classic photo. It was great that he was such a good uncle and took time to appreciate his niece. It is a good blog.

Unknown said...

Oh wow, that brought back memories. My dad bought a silk scarf in Germany and brought it back for his little sister, my aunt. She gave it to me years later and I still have it somewhere. I guess that was a popular souvenir back in the day.

BTW, your uncle looks like a cool guy....he had to be to pull off wearing a pineapple shirt! LOL!

Roxane B. Salonen said...

He looks like a movie star! :)

Anonymous said...

I love childhood memories like this! Great post... and shame about the scarf.

The Retired One said...

Ummmm....isn't it illegal to be in love with your uncle and want him to marry you?

Pamela said...

so sad about the scarf -- and Uncle marrying anyone but a movie star. (:

Lanny said...

Great memory. Along with gloves everyday and chrysanthemum corsages in the fall I would love to single handedly bring back those big scarves, along with giant sunglasses of course!