Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wistful Wednesday : 1969


I chose this Photo today, since it was taken five days after we got married back in 1969. Seems like only yesterday, but it was a long time ago. We have been through the thin and thick of things, always secure in our love for each other, and being best friends. This becomes especially pronounced when one of us is suddenly ILL. Far Guy knows I do not like hovering, yet he hovered very successfully late Sunday into Monday. He was never more than a holler away. I was stricken, and I do not say stricken lightly. Sunday we went to a local in the boonies church, they had a lovely picnic lunch and we enjoyed visiting with people that live west of us. People and former customers that we don't see very often. It was a fun day. I felt FINE.

I got a tickley throat Sunday afternoon, that progressed to a extremely sore throat, that began a cough, and a high temperature. By midnight I was sure I was near death, but Far Guy talked me into sleeping. I can be a bit over dramatic sometimes. A clinic visit would suffice, my temperature went higher, and I started having problems breathing. From the Clinic where I was in the very capable hands of an PA who I really like, he sent me to the ER, If I had felt better I would have been dragged there kicking and screaming. Especially since the PA said I would probably be admitted to the Hospital, and then he told me that DR. SHE DEVIL would be the admitting physician. I grabbed his hand, he said he was really sorry, he would go with me but he does not have admitting privileges. DR REALLY NICE LADY is in charge of the ER, yes I should be admitted, she can't be my admitting physician either, she is sympathetic...with my plight. She said "This is serious, you need medications that we can only give by IV."

Far Guy said he would stay, I am breathing better by this time, I have IV's going, antibiotics started, chest x rays, and many many vials of blood taken. When Far Guy left, his last words were, you can you do it. .. Yes..maybe. He had not eaten, he had not taken his 3 PM meds, Chance was home alone. It was after nine PM.
Could I face DR SHE DEVIL alone? She finally arrived way after ten PM. I had no weapons, she was unarmed this time, she only had a lousy clipboard. She is one super ugly woman, hairs coming out of her chin (Never been waxed), she does not bathe often, she is unkempt and not only a visual disgrace as a doctor, but her Father probably owned the Medical School that she went to and still had to pay off everyone to get her in. Far Guy's Mom had the first run in with her, she said "I can't believe that she is a real doctor." My run in with her, involved her wielding a scalpel in urgent care, she only removed the scalpel and her knee from my chest after the third time I screamed..and threatened to charge her with battery. Far Guy would not drive me to the Police Department that day.. or I would have filed charges against her. Instead I wrote letters, to no avail, she was informed of my letters of complaint and would speak with me at my convenience if I wished. Yah..like when hell freezes over. Or when she happens to be the Only Admitting Physician. I kept my answers short and to the point. She tried to be friendly.. lotza luck lady. Throughout the night, she ordered tests every hour on the hour, two different blood tests, another chest x ray, urine tests, sputum tests, and then I had to be weighed at preciously 4AM, go figure. No rest for the wicked or the weary. At this point I am not sure which one I am. I do know I have never had a headache like this before or a feeling that all my big bones are warm and glowing. I unhook myself, and saunter down the hall to the Nurses Station where I tell them I am obviously allergic to something they have given me. I am not too worried I am hooked up by telemetry to someone in this wonderful health care establishment and sooner or later someone is certain to notice me if I am rendered unconscious by their ineptitude. I make it back into bed, plug my IV crap back in, attempt to sleep, and doze for a second, and DR SHE DEVIL wants to listen to my chest. Talk about an Instant Nightmare. I tell her I am allergic to something. Well as it turned out they made a temporary diabetic out of me, a few shots of insulin and I was right as rain. But now I have a depleted my supply of Potassium. I received the maximum amount of Potassium that I could by IV, and had to have a different doctor OK my release from the hospital. You see she had written I could only be discharged if many criteria were met, I made them all..just a little short on potassium. So how many Bananas can I eat??
I am feeling much better, I see Far Guy's Doctor tomorrow afternoon. They are treating me for pneumonia, whatever meds I received were apparently the correct ones to have kicked this in the butt as fast as it has, I am taking Levaquin for ten days and Prednisone. Prednisone makes me a little strung out, and some of the dreams are really crazy..but as you all know I am a very vivid dreamer anyway..imagine greatly enhanced vivid dreaming! It is good to be home, where I can actually rest, and boy was Chance ever happy to see me! He checked on me periodically through out the night last night, he is a good nurse! And Far Guy, he does just great too! I couldn't ask for two better guys to help me recoup.

Thank you for your kind comments and well wishes, Far Guy got a few phone calls..people calling to see what was wrong with me. East Side did a great job accessing my blog yesterday, she is my daughter you know, the English Professor, our other daughter the RN is well advised and is optimistic that I will make a full recovery. I had lots of company, my parents, my brother, my nephew, my aunt and one of my cousins..I even knew the gal that brought my lunch tray:)

19 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

Connie so glad you are feeling better. What an ordeal. I hate to be in the hospital. Like you said you have to go home to rest.

Merry Mary said...

Glad to see you back blogging, Connie. I've checked back quite a few times today to see if there was an update on how you were doing. Rest up and feel better.

Emma Rose said...

We are so glad you are home and getting better. I'll bet Chance has been worried too. Hope you improve every day and are back to "normal" :) soon!

Kisses for Chance the Wonder Nurse!
Emma Rose

Jan said...

Wow!!! I am so glad you are feeling a bit better and sorry to read about your illness. It is never fun to be sick but to have to deal with "her" is the icing on the cake. So sorry.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear how sick you have been. I hope the medicine continues to make this a fast recovery and that you get your strength back soon. I know you were worried about your two fellas back home too. Take care and God bless.

That Janie Girl said...

Oh, sweetie - get better soon!

Vodka Mom said...

oh man, I am thinking about you!!!

saying a prayer, as well. :-)

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Far Side, you get a pass on this one. These days of "no blogging" don't count. Glad to know you're on the mend. It's just not quite the same out here without you.

Rae said...

Oh my. You have been through an ordeal. I am so glad you are on the mend. Your story of the she devil doctor is funny but it is sad that it is true. People like that should never be allowed to practice medicine. Sounds like she missed her calling -she should have been one of those ugly female wrestlers. Can you imagine meeting her on the mat. Ewwww!

Karen Anne said...

Very glad you are home safe.

I can't believe the number of bad doctors around, esp. after I moved to the boonies.

flydragon said...

I'm soooo glad you're home and on the mend, with your two favorite guys taking care of you. Here's hoping you're feeling terrific in no time!!

Anonymous said...

Goodness girl! What a night! Glad to hear you got two cute boys looking after you! ;-)

Take care! Hugs - me! (Lady Fi)

The Retired One said...

What an ordeal!
Thank goodness you are recuperating and back home!

RURAL said...

Take good care of yourself, don't overdo it, at least not yet. We are all so glad that you are home, and being well looked after. Hugs to all.

Jen

demainca said...

You gotta watch out for the She Devil Dr.s with hairy chins! Glad you are feeling much better. Rest and take it easy let the guys take care of you.

Lanny said...

I am so very glad you will be better. Really really I am.

Isn't that prednisone nasty stuff?! I will be a happy happy woman if I can make it all the way through next winter and spring without taking it, without taking it ever again quite frankly, but it does beat not breathing. It alone could turn me into a winter/spring germaphobe.

Sorry you had to take it and have it be rough on you. But I am rather glad you will be better soon.

Andrea said...

So glad to hear you are going to be better. Love the photo...so much history, so much love....it warms my heart. :)

DayPhoto said...

Thank you, THANK YOU, for an update and that you are doing better. Going home is always good. Resting in your own bed in your own room is the best.

I'm sorry about the Dr. I have a couple of stories of mean hateful drs. I so understand.

Yeah! Here is hoping you are on the mend and well soon!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Michelle said...

Love your photo! I must have had DR SHE DEVIL's brother 'helping' me last fall when I was hospitalized. A great bedside manner that guy had...I remember him yelling at me, "You want to know when you are dying? You are dying now." (Because I questioned what he wanted to do to me.) I could feel your angst!