Saturday, July 25, 2009

Delphinium Tour Part Two

Stop One : My Mom's

Mom has a huge clump of mauve Pacific Giant Delphiniums. They were stunning this past week. Mom has a very large cage surrounding her Delphs. My parents are doing fine, although Dad tried to cut off his finger with a saw last week. He needed some stitches in the ER.

Stop Two: Jo's

White variety, Magic Fountains.

A sky blue color, which I find just about the best color and most difficult color to achieve in flowers. Blues are really tough colors, either they end up with purple or pink undertones. This one is a spectacular sky blue. A bit of sky in a flower.

A loosely stacked seeding variation, but with good clear color, a little in purple undertones.. still a nice flower.

Stop Three: Back at my Wildflowers. I had forgotten that this little guy even existed. I grew a series one year of little border Delphinium ..ten inches tall or less called "Summer Series" a border Delphinium. I believe that this one is called Summer Blues. It is surviving quite well!

Such ends the Delphinium tour, I had fun, and I hope you did too. As the days grow shorter every evening, I clamour to get enough photographs of flowers to last the winter. We have LONG winters up here you know, and only about three months of flowers. I do have a few other things on my summer photograph wish list.. are you curious?
Rainbow, Double Rainbow, Flax Field, Sunflower Field, a Beefalo calf, and a flash of lightening during a storm. I think I have the lightening one all figured out, I am going to have Far Guy drive and I will set up my tripod in the back of the Tracker and I can shoot out the hatch without getting electrocuted :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you have me laughing about shooting out the hatch w/o getting electrocuted. It sounds very risky!!! I love those blues - don't know that I've seen such true blues. My nephews (30) that lives in MN has just worn himself out this Summer trying to do all the living he can while it's not cold and dark!!!!!!!!!

Chrissy said...

Simply gorgeous flowers and photos. Have a wonderful weekend.

Rae said...

I think these are my favorite summer flower photos. Absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to see the photos next on your list. Lightning will be awesome but be careful. And some more pictures of Chance please.

West Side of Straight said...

These pictures did turn out great! Wish the flowers would last as long as these pictures! Winds are beating them up pretty good today.

Anonymous said...

in a word... "oy".. about the finger... i know the stitching finger routine myself

gorgeous flowers
great horse show today too :)
no murphy check inns so far :)
blessings
gp

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous, all I have is three shades of blue. I'd like a pink and a white please:)

L. D. said...

That is a marvelous blue on all of those flowers. Dels are quite a show stopper. Have a good Sunday.

Sandra said...

Love, LOVE delphs! I grow them also and love the shades of blue.

Pamela said...

so jealous.
All my delphiniums (all three of them) died this year. Well.. I have some that are considered in the same family, but they aren't the large beautiful stalks like the ones that died.

I don't know if it was the winter -- or my neighbors trees finally grew large enough to shade them too much, Maybe you'd know that answer?

Lanny said...

I enjoyed this show of delphs.