Saturday, March 28, 2009

Culverts

Yesterday I needed to get out, I needed to see something besides snow and trees. I was pinging off the walls and just needed to get out. So I chose to go look at some culverts. Whoopie!! This may seem rather boring to most of you.. I however like to watch water make its way from one side of the road to the other. In the spring in Minnesota..I live to watch the water run. Far Guy was not thrilled and I told him I could go alone, but he said "No, I will drive you (big sigh), but today we are taking my truck." Chance heard this and immediately went to the truck to wait.

Chance and Far Guy have been fixing the fire in a local outdoor stove, they drive there once a day to fill the stove. Yesterday Chance was lost..at least Far Guy thought so..as he hollered and hollered and the dog wouldn't come. Where in the heck was the dog? Waiting in the truck..duh..


Anyway back to my exciting culverts..are you ready?


This was the find of the day...an ice shelf on the west side of a local culvert..I thought it was awesome.
This is a top view, not as fantastic..but still okay.

This is the view from the other side of the culvert. I have to remember to watch where I walk...so I don't end up wet. I used to swim in this area as a kid, and when the water was low we used to crawl into this culvert to play..no swimming today. Far Guy hollers "Be Careful, You are going to end up all wet." Then I fell in..just kidding..just checking to see if you are still reading. I was careful...very careful.


We travel on to the next set of interesting culverts..they turned out to be really interesting. As the road was totally washed out. Far Guy refused to go any further, and I had to hike near the river..by myself..all alone..when the ice began to crack under my feet I stopped and took this photo. I was still on the road..the water was just getting wetter.
So that was my big excitement yesterday..:)


14 comments:

Mary said...

I like the pictures, too. Would you explain what an outdoor stove is/does? I used to get in trouble for leaving the door open and 'heating the whole outdoors.'

Unknown said...

I hope you got that out of your system....you scare me! My luck I would have slipped, fell in and drowned since I cant swim worth a hoot.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Mary, An outdoor wood stove is outside! It heats water that is carried underground through pipes to the indoors. I wrote about our outdoor woodstove back on Oct 5, 2008
Here is the link that you should be able to cut and paste.
http://farsideoffifty.blogspot.com/2008/10/warm-friend.html
Milah, I can swim and I know the river would have spit me out ..but it would have been so cold:(

Anonymous said...

Fascinating photos today Connie. You scare me too! Stay safe.

flydragon said...

Ha Chance waiting in the truck. He's no dummy. Not quite sure about his mom though:)) Farguy could have taken a pic to add to the post "things that float"

The Retired One said...

We have an outdoor stove which heats our "in floor" heating system throughout our log home.
We love it.
We only get propane here and each fill up is near $900.00, so by using our outdoor woodstove, it has saved us several thousand dollars this winter in the U.P.

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Far Side, I am slowly getting caught up on my reading. I had to smile, thinking of you going after a photo opportunity. What we won't do for a photo, and how our dear husband's look at us as if we're absolutely insane. Are we? I lost my awesome Canon; it died on me. My replacement is a loaner, and nice but I am learning it's more limited and I miss my old one. :( Someday I'll splurge...for now I have what I have. Stay out of the culverts!

Pamela said...

made me shiver. Cold cold water running fast. Where does it go... what does it do when it gets there. Just musing.

the snow still appears to be clean & white
I talked to a dear life long friend - and her daughter lives on the Minnesota side of that Red River business. (Evacuated, of course)

Anonymous said...

Love the snowy pictures. It's warming up now, but I did see someone out on the lake skating this morning. I wouldn't dare - and am scared when the ice cracks underneath me.

Coffee with Cathy said...

Oh my gosh, Connie! Your photos brought back so many memories from when I was little and was fascinated with the culverts in our wooded neighborhood. We would send countless sticks and leaves from one side to the other -- great fun! Thanks for sharing this.

laurie said...

gad, you used to swim there? and go inside the culvert? wow.

did you ever play Poohsticks?

Debbie said...

Hi Connie....great pictures that remind me of what we have right here on my road to take photos of...a culvert, a trout stream, and all just 1/4 mile away from my house. You are a restless and adventurous soul aren't you? I love it...remiinds me of myself! Our snow in Maine is melting finally...we are seeing brown grass! Great stuff Connie...love your blog.

Girl Tornado said...

I love your photos of all the water... I guess not too many areas of the country are having an easy spring, are they?!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Water running means it's NOT frozen! I'm with you! I stand on our bridge in the drive watching the little creek f.l.o.w....(only when it's not blowing like a banshee!)