Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wistful Wednesday: Cookies

Baking cookies! What could be better than joining your Mom in the kitchen while she bakes sugar cookies for you. This is Far Guy and his Mom in 1957 or 1958.
I found one of his Mom's Sugar Cookies Recipies to share:
Soft Sugar Cookies
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 Eggs
3/4 cup Sour Cream
1 Cup Butter or Lard
4 Cups Flour
1 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda or Cream of Tartar
3/4 teaspoon salt
Vanilla or Nutmeg
Roll 1/4 inch thick, Bake 400 degrees for 9 to 10 minutes on lightly greased cookie sheets.
These must just about melt in your mouth! Years ago lard was used in many cookie recipes:)

12 comments:

RURAL said...

They did make the absolute best cookies in those days. Hey, a little lard can't hurt that much. LOL.

Jen

DayPhoto said...

That is a neat photo of your MIL and your husband. He has just the perfect smile for the post...who knew years down the road he would smile for the world.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful smile Far Guy has in that photo...

flydragon said...

Ha, farguy certainly looks like he's anticipating the taste of those cookies. I've never seen a recipe for sugar cookies with sour cream. I'm gonna have to try those.

Jan said...

Love the picture. We had that kind of kitchen table too. Keep sorting thru those old photos.

Andrea said...

Love the photo...look at that smile. I love baking with Mom! :)

Unknown said...

I think my mom used crisco. I wish I had taken pictures of myself baking cookies with the children. Those were fun times!

Unknown said...

I'm amazed how many different types of sugar cookie recipes there are out there! I like yours, adding sour cream sounds interesting. I've added maple syrup before and that adds a fun flavor. I love sugar cookies, especially the raw dough! Yum!

Unknown said...

Oh, one more thing, forgot to add. I really enjoy seeing your old pics you add each week. They are so interesting to read about! Thank you!

RURAL said...

Certainly not trying to make anyone feel bad about the winter they are suffering through. Are you all better now?

Jen

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I remember those days well. And I remember doing the same with my kids.
Sneaking a dab of dough was the best part...Mom always winked!

Jeanne Estridge said...

Mmmm! I may have to try those! Far Boy was a cutie!