Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Photos of Flowers


I have a really busy day today, so I am posting some photographs for your enjoyment!
These are all photographs of Lupines. I took these with my old camera a few years ago. Some years the Lupines are fantastic, other years they all die out from our harsh Minnesota winters.

I love this bi color one, it only bloomed one year.



In Minnesota the Lupines bloom around June 15th give or take a few days. They bloom about two weeks, less if we get heavy rains and wind. I have volunteer seedlings that come up in some of the strangest places, but Lupines are best left alone and not transplanted. The tiny seedlings bloom later in the summer. Deer usually don't eat Lupines. These photographs were all taken in the display gardens here. What I now call my wildflower patch! :)

13 comments:

flydragon said...

I love lupines. I started some from seed a few years ago but only managed to get 2 plants to grow and they only lasted 2 years. After seeing these, I've got to try again!!!

Andrea said...

What beautiful colours!!! Such a nice way to start the day....thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, I certainly did enjoy these pictures.

RURAL said...

Now you have me pining for lupines. Those sure are beautiful.

Jen

Really truly, 6 more weeks?

Jen

Coffee with Cathy said...

Gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing on this windy and cold wintry day.

Jeanne Estridge said...

How beautiful -- and just what I needed when it's 20 degrees outside and snowing -- again.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous.. warms my heart and soul and gives me hope that spring will come again :)

blessings
gp

Pamela said...

Wish I could share with you the lupines blooming in spring through the Columbia River Gorge. I love to drive through the purple washed canyons --

I have a few in my garden - and I don't think it is the winter that kiss them. I think mine get some kind of "rust"

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Lovely! Thanks for the midwinter color!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous - those lupines are enormous!

Anonymous said...

I have always admired these flowers but have terrible luck with them in GA. I enjoyed these photos so much.

DayPhoto said...

Your yard is drop dead beautiful! WOW! You are amazing!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

The Lupines are beautiful. Your diplay garden/wildflower patch is wonderful.
It is just the right time to see these pictures.
Now, I can't wait until spring.
Have a great day.
pam