Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wistful Wednesday : Two Uncles

Everyone in my Fathers large family of fourteen ( eleven brothers and two sisters) worked hard. This photograph shows my Uncle Wilbert "The Barber" giving my Uncle Hugo a shave. My Dad was in charge of the sheep. Older brothers were in charge of milking the cows and caring for the horses. My Dad never did care much for horses. My Uncle Ervin was the bread baker. They were all hunters and trackers, my Grandmother would send them out to shoot some venison when she needed fresh meat. I asked my Dad once about Hunting Seasons, he said it was hunting season whenever his Mother said it was. They only took bucks or does without fawns. Everyone picked rocks, and fixed fence and worked in the fields. When school was out for five weeks over Christmas, they filled the haymow with hay.

In many of my old photographs showing buildings, there is more often than not a home made ladder next to a house. For snow removal and chimney cleaning. This photograph was taken at my Uncle Wilberts first place, and it looks like he had a puppy! This photograph was taken sometime in the 1940's:)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a great picture - really nostalgic about times that are no more!

Anonymous said...

a photog that makes you feel like you're there... well done keep warm
gp

Unknown said...

I love how resourceful they were back then. It reminds me of the old saying, "Make do, or do without."

flydragon said...

"Hunting season was when Mother said it was" LOLOLO

The W.O.W. factor! said...

You are soooo very lucky to have possession of such wonderful family treasures! Wish I was, but not even sure if they are to be had! My Gram~from Germany...hated everything about where she came from! My other Gram died at a very young age...I should my sis in MN if she has them per chance...or any.

DayPhoto said...

Are you putting all of this in a separate place on your computer so you can print into book form?

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Lilly said...

It is a shame we didnt work as physically as hard as they did then. We would be a lot fitter. As a child I loved hearing my grandmother's stories - she was one of 14. Now I love listening ot my Dad's stories. He is 81 and has time to tell them now.

That ladder is intriguing - not sure I would be game to step on it for fear of breaking it but it must have been strong nonetheless.

RURAL said...

I do so look forward to seeing those old photos. Such a collection of treasure that you have there.

Jen

~gail~mooselovingmamabear said...

Love this... I have sooo many older photos to sort thru and scrapbook, but I can't keep up on my current ones.

You have a "new" follower... :-)

Take Care...

Pamela said...

I have some old shots of my dads and moms family from back in the late 1800s and the early 1900s and onward.

They worked their fingers to the bones

I do love your photos!

Anonymous said...

I love the photo and the story. Thank you for sharing.

Jeanne Estridge said...

My aunt used to have a photograph album of shots like this, taken down in the Appalachians where my mom's family hails from. Wonder what happened to it? Probably went to one of the cousins who does geneaology.

Thanks for sharing!