Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Wistful Wednesday: Me!

I have decided to call my Old Photograph Wednesday..Wistful Wednesday starting now! Thank you to Roxane for the idea for it's new name! Wednesdays will continue to be the day I pop in with an old photo. Miss Kate I liked your idea of Black and White Wednesday..however I wanted to leave the option for showing some colorful old photos also.



This photo was taken by my Mother in 1952. I was about 10 months old. It was taken on the farm I grew up on, the pasture is in the background. Note the old hay wagon with the high sides, and the steel wheels. I loved kittens and enjoyed chasing them around, they were barn cats and caught mice and dumb birds. My Mother never ever allowed cats or dogs into the house when I was growing up. I always thought it was a stupid rule, but followed it most of the time ..sneaking them into the house only when she wasn't looking.

My parents were a united front on this rule..with my Father saying "If you have a cat in the house it will crap all over, cats belong in the barn, that's where the cats job is." Then I would be treated to the very old story of how when you have a cat and a baby in the house..the cat might lay right on the baby, and steal the baby's breath away. How many of you were treated to that pleasant thought growing up? Far Guys Mom had a cat in the house when he was a baby..it did get in his crib..and it was thrown out of the house. Well maybe not thrown out, sent to a farm more than likely.

The neighbor kids had a very liberal Mother and they had a cat in their house. No babies just a cat. I loved that cat too. This was before commercial cat litter was available. They had a cat box behind the couch filled with sand. Sand is a unavailable resource in Minnesota in the wintertime, so they thought ahead and would keep buckets of sand in their cellar for use throughout the winter.

Far Guy and I are pretty much dog people, our girls always wanted a cat, we always told them when they got their own house they could do whatever they wanted. However one Autumn night that changed. More on that tomorrow:)

10 comments:

RURAL said...

I love this new wistful Wednesday postings. What a wonderful idea. Those old photos are so great. Maybe other bloggers will pick this up also. You might have started something......

Jen

flydragon said...

What an impish smile you have. I can just see you sneaking those kittens into the house.

Unknown said...

First I want to thank you for pointing out my problem with my hyperlink thingie. It's working now.

Love the picture with the kittens...too cute! I have never had cats in the house and have only had my dog three years. It took lots of begging before my husband would consent to that. Now he loves her as much as I do. She's a good house dog and friend.

DayPhoto said...

What a cute baby you were/are! I have a blog award for you at my site.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Jewel said...

my mom and dad never allowed cats or dogs in the house either. You were a cute baby.

Anonymous said...

Wow - a cliffhanger! Great... Don't forget to tell us what happened next!

Wistful Wednesdays - great name!

And I love the new banner on your blog - very tasteful and relaxing!

Ladybird World Mother said...

What IS that thing about cats lying on your face?? Laps, I believe, is the place they like to be in. Love Wistful Wednesdays!

alphawoman said...

I love this idea and I stole it! I think you are so cute!! Maybe you should start a Wistful Wednesday group post. I have comments saying they would like to do it too!

Anonymous said...

Those photos could have came from my family album. I have one of me and chickens like that.
I just read about the kitten. I'll be back to read more.
Pam

Julia said...

I love old photos, I shall be watching out for them each week..
What a cute baby you were..I'd love to see a photo of you now..
Hugs julia